Topics

Baby turkeys at Morcom Rose Garden

Hilary Powers

On 5/20/2020 12:30 PM, Kate Hoffman wrote:
... When the crow came too close, a hen rushed him and forced him (temporarily) away. Do crows eat ambulatory baby turkeys?
Dunno, but a crow will try it on with pretty much anything. I saw one make a spirited attempt at a Green Heron the other day, flying up and dropping down, only to sheer off when the heron's spike of a beak popped up about 3 feet to meet it. Tried several times before giving up. Might just have been hassle and devilment, of course, but I'm sure that if it had managed to turn heron into calories, it would have taken advantage.

--
~ Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA ~
~ www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~

Kate Hoffman

For several years, a wild turkey tom and several hens have been (mostly) resident in the Morcom Rose Garden, where a turkey whisperer/neighbor feeds them daily. Lately the hens have been missing, and the tom has been unusually aggressive toward garden visitors. I wondered if perhaps the hens were nesting nearby or whether the extra visitors to the garden this spring were just pushing him over the edge. This morning, I saw the hens and the tom grazing the hill and herding a bunch of fluffy tiny turkeys under the watchful gaze of a crow. When the crow came too close, a hen rushed him and forced him (temporarily) away. Do crows eat ambulatory baby turkeys?

Kate Hoffman
Oakland