Topics

Gold Gorget on a Hummingbird??

Lorrie Klosterman

I have also seen the flash of gold, when a perched male Anna's looked directly at me. It was a gorgeous fleeting moment at just the right sun-angle from an otherwise pink gorget :D

Lorrie K.
Berkeley

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, 9:41 PM Hilary Powers <hilary@...> wrote:
On 3/25/2020 2:38 PM, Ralph McKinnon via Groups.Io wrote:
> Possible pollen accumulation on it's gorget?

Pollen can be gold... but not the sort of hyper-reflective metallic gold
this little guy displayed. It was what I've been reminded is properly
called "structural color" but I tend to think of as "sun color" - color
evoked by light rather than intrinsic to the substance on view.

I gather it's common for Anna's Hummingbirds to show gold instead of
red, but I'd never seen it before, or red of the shade of this one's
forehead and central gorget either. The world is still full of new
wonders....

--
~            Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA          ~
www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~

Max Laubstein

In this picture you can see a bit of that golden coloration along the side of the gorget, which is common in Anna's when lighting hits the microstructures in the gorget at an odd angle.
Happy Birding!

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 9:41 PM Hilary Powers <hilary@...> wrote:
On 3/25/2020 2:38 PM, Ralph McKinnon via Groups.Io wrote:
> Possible pollen accumulation on it's gorget?

Pollen can be gold... but not the sort of hyper-reflective metallic gold
this little guy displayed. It was what I've been reminded is properly
called "structural color" but I tend to think of as "sun color" - color
evoked by light rather than intrinsic to the substance on view.

I gather it's common for Anna's Hummingbirds to show gold instead of
red, but I'd never seen it before, or red of the shade of this one's
forehead and central gorget either. The world is still full of new
wonders....

--
~            Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA          ~
www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~
~         Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures        ~

Hilary Powers

On 3/25/2020 2:38 PM, Ralph McKinnon via Groups.Io wrote:
Possible pollen accumulation on it's gorget?
Pollen can be gold... but not the sort of hyper-reflective metallic gold this little guy displayed. It was what I've been reminded is properly called "structural color" but I tend to think of as "sun color" - color evoked by light rather than intrinsic to the substance on view.

I gather it's common for Anna's Hummingbirds to show gold instead of red, but I'd never seen it before, or red of the shade of this one's forehead and central gorget either. The world is still full of new wonders....

--
~ Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA ~
~ www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~
~ Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures ~

Jim Hargrove

The color of the gorget can change depending on the angle of the sun. Also, the male can adjust the feathers of the gorget to change the color. The very first Anna's Hummingbird I saw was on a Christmas Count in Texas. It was a stake-out. We went to a house where they had a feeder and saw "a big hummingbird with red/gold color on the head and throat."

The Other Jim Hargrove
Email: neoscona@...

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 2:11 PM, Hilary Powers <hilary@...> wrote:

On 3/25/2020 2:00 PM, Hilary Powers wrote:

> The overall shape was right for Anna's. Anything else it could be?

Nope. The next thing I looked at after sending this message was the
March Audubon newsletter, with a picture of an Anna's Hummingbird
flashing gold from the sides of the gorget at the top of the first
screen.....

--
~            Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA          ~
~        Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures        ~

Ralph McKinnon

Possible pollen accumulation on it's gorget?

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 2:11 PM, Hilary Powers <hilary@...> wrote:

On 3/25/2020 2:00 PM, Hilary Powers wrote:

> The overall shape was right for Anna's. Anything else it could be?

Nope. The next thing I looked at after sending this message was the
March Audubon newsletter, with a picture of an Anna's Hummingbird
flashing gold from the sides of the gorget at the top of the first
screen.....

--
~            Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA          ~
~  www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~
~        Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures        ~

Hilary Powers

On 3/25/2020 2:00 PM, Hilary Powers wrote:

The overall shape was right for Anna's. Anything else it could be?
Nope. The next thing I looked at after sending this message was the March Audubon newsletter, with a picture of an Anna's Hummingbird flashing gold from the sides of the gorget at the top of the first screen.....

--
~ Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA ~
~ www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~
~ Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures ~

Hilary Powers

I walked down to Lake Merritt this morning for the regular (if cancelled) 4th-Wednesday GGAS walk, so as to write my usual column - and get out into the fresh air. Unlike some of the park-crowd pics loading the internet, people there were being good about social distance, I'm pleased to report.

Anyway, one of the hummingbirds was odd. I couldn't get a decent look at his back - he was facing me and silhouetted against the sky, but his forehead and the central part of his gorget were crimson rather than magenta, and the sides of the gorget were bright metallic gold. I never saw anything like it... but it was all sun-color, and I know how unpredictable that can be.