Topics

It is winter and It is spring in Walnut Creek Tuesday

rosita94598

There are still many White- and Golden-crowned Sparrows in Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek's Ygnacio Valley.  They are some of our winter birds.  Today I found almost alternate-plumaged Audubon's and Myrtle Warblers.  A Merlin was in a conifer high above the dog park, and we still have more than 20 Ring-necked Ducks.  The lone female Common Goldeneye continues.

On the other hand, today the Canada Goose family was down to 2 goslings; it was 4 last week and 3 over the weekend.  A Cackling Goose was on the sidewalk around the concrete pond not far away.  A pair of Mallards had 4 ducklings at the large, mostly natural pond.

The Ruby-crowned Kinglets continue to sing, as do the Mockingbird and the Red-winged Blackbirds.  A pair of Killdeer is hanging out at the equestrian area parking lot; I keep hoping they cross the road to the fenced solar panel area which also has a gravel base.

Yesterday was a three-swallow day with Rough-winged, Barn and Violet-green Swallows seen.  Today I had a single Barn Swallow and others unidentified as they flew high and behind trees.

I did not see the Tropical Kingbird today, it is often a couple of weeks between sightings.  I did see a Green Heron and a Black-crowned Night-Heron.  The latter was in the reeds to the left of the gravel boat ramp.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Lois Olmstead

Thank you for your reports.  I really enjoy them.
I’m going to see if I can find that Merlin!

Lois Olmstead
Lafayette

On Mar 24, 2020, at 10:18 AM, rosita94598 via Groups.Io <rosita94598@...> wrote:

[...]

Bev

Is Heather Farms open to distant bird watching then?  I keep wanting to go....

Bev

[...]

judisierra

This is not appropriate for a group response.

To reply to an individual via email requires copy and paste of their email address otherwise it goes to the group.
On the groups website, personal replies are a gray button to the right that says "private"