From: Hilary Powers <hilary@...>
To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Sent: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 17:41:35 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Second-hand Weirdness

What bird is black, sort of crow-sized, and shows white feathers along
the edges of its wings when it flies? Has black legs. Bigger than a
pigeon. No crest.

Yeah. I can't think of any either.

But a mostly bird-blind friend swore up and down that he saw three of
them near Berkeley Bowl (the old one, near Shattuck) yesterday. Said he
thought crows, or maybe ravens, till they flew; figured the first one to
take off was just elderly (yah, I know), but then all three showed the
same markings - "like a dagged edge" on the wing. White, or maybe light
gray....

Google Images didn't ring any bells for me this morning.

Speculation to while away a solitary Monday?

--
~ Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA ~
~ www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~

Hilary Powers

On 3/16/2020 2:52 PM, Bob Hislop wrote:
Do you remember what the color of the beak was??

Not for sure. Pretty sure he said "not that color" or somesuch when I tried Sibley's pics of Mynas - but that was when he said the legs were black.

Asking him via bcc - maybe he'll chime in.

[...]

Joe Morlan

How about a Coot?

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 14:41:35 -0700, "Hilary Powers"
<hilary@...> wrote:

What bird is black, sort of crow-sized, and shows white feathers along
the edges of its wings when it flies? Has black legs. Bigger than a
pigeon. No crest.

Yeah. I can't think of any either.

But a mostly bird-blind friend swore up and down that he saw three of
them near Berkeley Bowl (the old one, near Shattuck) yesterday. Said he
thought crows, or maybe ravens, till they flew; figured the first one to
take off was just elderly (yah, I know), but then all three showed the
same markings - "like a dagged edge" on the wing. White, or maybe light
gray....

Google Images didn't ring any bells for me this morning.

Speculation to while away a solitary Monday?
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Hilary Powers

On 3/16/2020 4:36 PM, Joe Morlan wrote:
How about a Coot?

Hmmm - about the right size, white edges visible on wings - first candidate to offer that! I'll show the guy a pic, but he did claim the legs (and I think the beak) were black.

Thanks for the thought!

<hilary@...> wrote:

[...]

Susana dT

May be a Common Gallinule immature? The legs and bill are not black but could be dark enough in the distance.
Just guessing.

Sharon Jue

Either Coots or Gallinules would be surprising in that location, though. Is there any possibility it was a crow/raven/blackbird that the light was hitting oddly?

On 3/16/2020 9:23 PM, Sharon Jue wrote:
Either Coots or Gallinules would be surprising in that location, though. Is there any possibility it was a crow/raven/blackbird that the light was hitting oddly?

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 9:05 PM Susana dT <trapaga@...> wrote:
May be a Common Gallinule immature? The legs and bill are not black but could be dark enough in the distance.
Just guessing.

Corvids catching light weirdly seem most likely... but that's not saying much. The guy reported seeing three birds together on the median behind Berkeley Bowl and thinking vaguely "oh, crows or ravens" (thereby providing a clue to his birding expertise). Then one took off, revealing white or gray triangles along the edge of the underwing, and he thought, "hmm, must be elderly." Then the other two took off, revealing the same pattern.

"What kind of bird could that be?" he asked me an hour or so later.

"Beats the hell out of me," sez I....

(I've bounced the Coot idea off him, but he swears the beaks were really black.)

--
~            Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA          ~
~  www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~
~         Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures        ~

EBB-Archivist

Have you showed him images of "leucistic crows" from Google images?

Hilary Powers

On 3/17/2020 10:58 AM, EBB-Archivist wrote:
Have you showed him images of "leucistic crows" from Google images?

Not yet. I keep boggling at the idea of three matching leucistic crows. It feels as though if the variation ran that strongly in families, we'd be hip-deep in piebald crows....