Topics

locked Flamingo at Coyote Hills RP

stevejisawesome@...

Hello,
My apologies, if this is not the right forum .. .. has there been any discussion about the origin and species ID of the Flamingo recently seen at Coyote Hills Regional Park? I have searched a few different discussion groups and found nothing anywhere.

I am curious if the consensus is this is a wild bird, or more likely a release or such. According to eBird this species (Chilean F.) has never been confirmed north of Ecuador or southern Venezuela.

Also since all the photos I see at eBird are very long range, how certain are we about the species? I don't know the Flamingo family but what I've been seen online would indicate the Greater, American, and Chilean are pretty similar.

Thank you for any thoughts. And if this topic belongs elsewhere, please let me know where.

Good birding,
Steve Johnson
Fairfax, Virginia (but frequent visitor to the bay area)

Megan Jankowski

Steve, I'm sure someone other than me will chime in with more info. I don't
know at what point it was decided to be a Chilean, but that's what I've
been hearing the past few years and will fully admit that when I saw it
that's what I put down understanding that it was most likely the same
individual. What I observed and from others' photos points to Chilean
though: grey legs with pink joints (https://ebird.org/checklist/S63110296)
and the correct bill coloration.

The best photo of it (presuming it's the same bird) is this stunner from
Jerry Ting three years ago:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/33655859991

You'll note that someone else commented under his photo that they
definitely had another bird, likely a Lesser, in the Sunnyvale area for a
while. You can see the bill color is really different. There are old news
articles that seem to be about that bird:
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/real-flamingo-spotted-in-san-francisco-bay/1950630/
There are also news stories/bird posts going back years regarding flamingos
in the bay with questions about what species they were.

Here's a post from 2006:
http://www.birdwideweb.com/ebb/msgArchive/2006/10/20.html

<https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/real-flamingo-spotted-in-san-francisco-bay/1950630/>
So that's at least two species of flamingos in the bay from the last ten
years, and who knows going further back. Since the local zoos deny losing
birds (SF has Chileans, Oakland Zoo has Lessers) my guess is that some dot
com billionaire started breeding flamingos as a hobby and releases them
from time to time to keep us birders on our toes!

Megan Jankowski
Oakland