Topics

Emeryville Marina, possible Bar-tailed godwit

judisierra

From Jim Chiroplps' ebird report
... Bird located on godwit/willet roost on breakwater about 150 yards west of police/fore station.(South side.)

This is a high tide location only so time your visit to high tide as they spread out on the mudflats at low tide. If birders are well behaved, they can watch this bird from12 feet away if it stays.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61078480

On Thursday, October 31, 2019, 4:47:42 PM PDT, John Missing <@johnmiss> wrote:

Where at the Marina was it seen?

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 4:09 PM Megan Jankowski <
mindfuldocumentation@...> wrote:

I'm posting this for Sharon as she's having trouble sending it to the
group for some reason. Her email is sljue1 at gmail.com

There's a decent candidate for a juvenile bar-tailed godwit at Emeryville
Marina right now. Long black primaries, much more black and white overall
than surrounding marbleds. Appreciate other opinions as I've never actually
seen one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5dcP4D68acuzUm1VA

Sharon jue,
Berkeley

--
John
917-714-3386

Aaron Maizlish

I’m currently looking at it with Jim Chiropolos and Sharon Jue. Across Powell Street from the Emery Cove Yacht Harbor in the regular roost with about 700 Willets/Godwits. My best work-patch bird yet! Thanks, Sharon.

Aaron Maizlish

group for some reason. Her email is sljue1 at gmail.com

There's a decent candidate for a juvenile bar-tailed godwit at Emeryville
Marina right now. Long black primaries, much more black and white overall
than surrounding marbleds. Appreciate other opinions as I've never actually
seen one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5dcP4D68acuzUm1VA

Sharon jue,
Berkeley

--
John
917-714-3386

Alvaro Jaramillo

Wow, I would say that is a juvenile Bar-tailed Godwit even without seeing the bill. Great find!
- long primaries
-"striped look" to coverts, and scapulars.
- barred tail with pale background, unlike cinnamon background on barred tail of Marbled.
- tertials with white half circle markings, like a Whimbrel.
- short legs.
.... looks great to me.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo
alvaro@...
www.alvarosadventures.com

There's a decent candidate for a juvenile bar-tailed godwit at Emeryville Marina right now. Long black primaries, much more black and white overall than surrounding marbleds. Appreciate other opinions as I've never actually seen one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5dcP4D68acuzUm1VA

Sharon jue,
Berkeley

https://www.avg.com