Topics

Is Blue-gray Tanager Extirpated from Ebird?

Dave Weber

When viewing all of my photos in Ebird, I noticed that Blue-gray Tanager is
missing. This is the bird seen at Sycamore Grove Park/Arroyo Entrance this
year.

I found the following:

It appears on my single checklist with the photos.

It appears on my county list.

It does not appear on the full county checklist.

I cannot find anyone's photos of the bird, ie the search returns no result.

Other exotics still appear on the county list.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Dave Weber,

Milpitas

Frank Fogarty

eBird protocol for most introduced species (with a handful of exceptions)
is for reviewers to invalidate the record with the flag
"introduced/exotic". This removes the records from all public output,
including maps, but they are still present in the dataset and visible on
the individual checklists. I've heard that the rationale for this protocol
is to reduce the clutter of introduced species on bar charts, although that
seems pretty trivial and I'd like to see introduced species included in
public output.

If anyone is interested in analyzing records of a specific introduced
species, it's relatively easy to get these invalidated records in the eBird
Basic Dataset download.

Good birding,

Frank Fogarty
Arcata/Oakland

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 5:46 PM Dave Weber <dwbirdster@...> wrote:

When viewing all of my photos in Ebird, I noticed that Blue-gray Tanager is
missing. This is the bird seen at Sycamore Grove Park/Arroyo Entrance this
year.

I found the following:

It appears on my single checklist with the photos.

It appears on my county list.

It does not appear on the full county checklist.

I cannot find anyone's photos of the bird, ie the search returns no result.

Other exotics still appear on the county list.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Dave Weber,

Milpitas

judisierra

Bummer about the photos missing. Another good reason to post on EBB too. Stuff won't be disappeared!

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 5:46:11 PM PDT, Dave Weber <dwbirdster@...> wrote:

When viewing all of my photos in Ebird, I noticed that Blue-gray Tanager is
missing. This is the bird seen at Sycamore Grove Park/Arroyo Entrance this
year.

I found the following:

It appears on my single checklist with the photos.

It appears on my county list.

It does not appear on the full county checklist.

I cannot find anyone's photos of the bird, ie the search returns no result.

Other exotics still appear on the county list.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Dave Weber,

Milpitas

Mike Feighner

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher?LivermoreMike FeighnerSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: "judisierra via Groups.Io" <judisierra=yahoo.com@groups.io> Date: 8/21/19 8:33 PM (GMT-08:00) To: East Bay Birds <ebb-sightings@groups.io> Cc: EBB-Sightings@groups.io Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Is Blue-gray Tanager Extirpated from Ebird? Bummer about the photos missing. Another good reason to post on EBB too. Stuff won't be disappeared!     On Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 5:46:11 PM PDT, Dave Weber <dwbirdster@...> wrote:  When viewing all of my photos in Ebird, I noticed that Blue-gray Tanager ismissing. This is the bird seen at Sycamore Grove Park/Arroyo Entrance thisyear. I found the following:It appears on my single checklist with the photos.It appears on my county list.It does not appear on the full county checklist.I cannot find anyone's photos of the bird, ie the search returns no result.Other exotics still appear on the county list. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? Dave Weber,Milpitas

Mike Feighner

Who in the world has ever spotted a Blue-Gray Tanager in Alameda County? None I know of.

--
Mike Feighner
Livermore, California, Alameda County

http://www.linkedIn.com/in/michaelfeighner
--
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde

[...]

Joe Morlan

Sycamore Grove Park south of Livermore. It was quite a celebrity. Did you
miss this message?

https://groups.io/g/EBB-Sightings/message/12346

But much of the discussion was on the discussion list starting at:

https://groups.io/g/EBB-Discussion/message/57

The bird was originally found by Dean LaTray on 5 April posted on eBird:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54603587?view=photos

with many follow up eBird posts some containing outstanding photos. Here is
a partial list:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54785631?view=photos

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54833729?view=photos

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54834592?view=photos

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55440056?view=photos

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55541550?view=photos

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55592097?view=photos

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55592097?view=photos

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55858987?view=photos

and continuing. The last eBird report I found was dated 2 June.

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 22:16:44 -0700, "Mike Feighner"
<feinerVogel94551@...> wrote:

Who in the world has ever spotted a Blue-Gray Tanager in Alameda County? None I know of.

--
Mike Feighner
Livermore, California, Alameda County

http://www.linkedIn.com/in/michaelfeighner
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Becky Flanigan

I saw it and it was all over eBird and Ebb for a little while. Have pics and videos too.

Becky Flanigan, Oakland

Sent from iPhone. Please excuse typos and grammatical errors!