Topics

2nd year Osprey return

judisierra

This morning Tony Brake saw and photographed the return of one of the  GGAS Richmond nest's banded  2018 osprey offspring near San Pablo Bay.  A male, VU  named "Victory". Male offspring generally return to within 10 km of their natal nest and females 40-60 km. They return in their 2nd year. The Richmond ospreys are the only ospreys in Calif. and possibly the west coast I can't recall, that are banded. It is appreciated if ospreys are seen to look for a blue band and report it here or to the osprey cam chat. Each blue band has white initials that might show up on a photo. A 2017 offspring was seen last season. There is a female from 2018 that hasn't been seen. The GGAS Richmond osprey cam is at http://sfbayospreys.org/

Judi Sierra
Oakland

tonybrake@sbcglobal.net

As Judi Sierra reported, Ralph Pericoli and I observed a male Osprey near Pt. San Pablo this morning that had a blue auxiliary band on its right leg in addition to the standard USFWS band on the other leg. We were eventually able to read the band as "VU" this meant it was among the three nestlings banded in 2018 at the "Whirley Crane" nest at the Port of Richmond. Ospreys do not return to their natal area from their wintering grounds until after their second year. Among West Coast Ospreys, only birds from this nest have so far been banded with blue bands. Ospreys fledged from two nest platforms in Orange County have been banded with black bands (white lettering) for a number of years. Ospreys from nests in Oregon, Washington and British Columbia have been banded, and some fitted with transmitters. As I understand, none of these birds have blue bands. An Osprey that had been fitted with a blue band in Wisconsin in 2007 was photographed in El Salvador in April of this year, and possibly in November of last year. Ospreys from the Midwest have been known to join the Pacific Flyway.

It would be appreciated if anyone observing Ospreys with blue band with white letters would notify us at ospreysciencedata@.... Alternatively, you could include the information and any photos showing the bands in any eBird submissions.Finally, a post on the "Live Chat" at sfbayospreys.org would suffice.

Here is a video clip of today's sighting: https://youtu.be/0WjQ5F6z7rk

Tony Brake
Pt. Richmond

tonybrake@sbcglobal.net

Looks like the email address is obscured. The address is: ospreysciencedata AT Goldengateaudubon DOT org.

tonybrake@sbcglobal.net

I should have also mentioned that any sightings of these color-banded Ospreys should also be reported to the Bird Banding Laboratory (https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/) so that it will be entered in their database. You will receive a certificate with details of the date and location of the original banding. This information will also be passed on to the bander.