Topics

Summer tanager at Claremont canyon

Teale Fristoe

About fifteen minutes ago I spotted the continuing summer tanager in the oaks just down the trail from the switchback with a rope swing and bench. It appeared to fly away down towards the park entrance but I'm not sure.

Teale
Berkeley

Teale Fristoe

I just saw the tanager again, this time flying between eucalyptus branches between the first and second switchbacks.

Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

Alan Howe

I finally managed to see him, after months of trying, around 3;00 this afternoon. He was in the first couple of oak trees to your right as you descend the trail/road from the eucalyptus copse with the rope swings. If I hadn't seen some acorn woodpeckers fly into the trees & stopped to look @ them, I wouldn't have seen the tanager who was hopping around in the interior of the downhill tree & making no noise. He stuck around quite a while & may have still been there when I left around 3:30 or so.

Alan Howe
North Oakland

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 12:33:41 PM PST, Teale Fristoe <fristoe@...> wrote:

I just saw the tanager again, this time flying between eucalyptus branches between the first and second switchbacks.

Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

Tom McGuire <tomario@...>

Hi,

Great sightings . . .!. . .is it possible the tanager will still be there tomorrow? Can anyone please tell me where to park to access the TH . . .thanks!

Tom McGuire
Berkeley CA

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 4:10:13 PM PST, Alan Howe via Groups.Io <poethowe@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom,

The summer tanager has been here since Erica Rutherford and John Colbert first found it on October 30th, so it will probably be around somewhere tomorrow, but it's often been difficult to find. You can park on Stonewall Rd or Tanglewood Rd to access the preserve.

Good luck!
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

David Couch

If the recent sightings are along the Stonewall-Panoramic Trail where I saw that Tanager a few weeks ago, then... I found it pretty easy to park on Stonewall Road off of Clairemont Avenue, around this location:

Near 100-238 Stonewall Rd, Berkeley, CA 94705
https://goo.gl/maps/GqzLSTrxvtM2
David Couch
Berkeley