Topics

Buff-breasted Sandpiper in Richmond

Aaron Maizlish

Birders,

Many thanks to Logan Kahle for getting the word out earlier.  At least a dozen birders were able to see the bird this afternoon.

Now that I’m back home I’ve been trying to catch up on some of that August shorebird-migration magic.  This afternoon after leaving work I decided to check out the Richmond sewage ponds, formally the West County Wastewater District Treatment Plant.   After signing in at the office I went off to survey the ponds and was disappointed with the lack of bird activity.  In the second large pond (east of the office), there were just three distant medium-sized sandpipers with buffy breasts on the mud that caught my eye.  I went back to my car to get the camera and was shocked to realize that I was looking at one BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER associating with two BAIRD’S SANDPIPERS.

The three pipers were very mellow and cooperative for the two hours that I stayed on site -eventually joined by a third Baird’s Sandpiper and a small number of peeps.   The Buff-breasted is a first year bird with crisp plumage, bright yellow legs and white edges on the wing feathers.

I have put up six photos on my flickr feed starting here:   https://www.flickr.com/photos/amaizlish/30383567858/  - I also included most of them on the eBird report.  This was probably my most desired life-bird and it was quite exciting to stumble about it.  According to Logan this is a first county record for Contra Costa County.

I do not know if the WCWD is open on the weekends.  You need to sign in at the office - the staff and workers are always extremely friendly to birders on the few times I have interacted with them.

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco, CA

Colin Meusel

...yes, they are open on the weekends (unless policy has changed since last year). The main doors might be locked, but they still appreciate a sign-in (enough to put a flyer in your car if you don’t.) if so, go around to the left. You may have to knock.
-Colin Meusel
  Petaluma, CA