Alameda Brown Booby continues Saturday afternoon

David Quady and Nancy Boas

Birders:

Immediately after reading Jim Lomax’s post to the County Birders list serve I headed out the door, forgetting my binoculars in the process.

I found a parking place at the intersection of West Hornet Avenue and Viking Street in Alameda, walked to the edge of the bay, and stationed myself at the southwest corner of Hornet Soccer Field. I got the Brown Booby in my scope at 12:40 pm as it foraged in waters between the shoreline and the breakwater. Then I took my eyes off the bird, and it disappeared … but only for a few minutes. After re-locating it I watched it off and on until 1:00 pm, when it flew west along the breakwater and landed atop it quite some distance away, west of the gap in the breakwater.

So I went home.

The bird ranged over quite a large area, on either side of the breakwater, once far enough northwest to be lost to view behind the new ferry terminal.

Thanks to the folks who found and posted about the bird, and especially to Jim for his excellent directions.

Dave Quady
Berkeley, California
davequady@att.net

Bruce Mast

Hey folks,
Pamela Llewellyn and I just returned from Alameda, where we drove up to find Mark Rauzon photographing madly as the Brown Booby fished just offshore. The spot was the Seaplane Lagoon, just north of the USS Hornet. We watched the bird from Ferry Point, between Atlantic Avenue and Oriskany. After about 15 minutes, the bird took off and we thought it was going to go back to its original spot by Hornet Field but then Pamela and I were able to relocate it roosting on the breakwater that extends west from Oriskany Ave.

Bird on,

Bruce Mast
Oakland

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 2:38 PM, 'davequady@...' davequady@... [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply@...> wrote:
[...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    EBB_Sightings-digest@yahoogroups.com
    EBB_Sightings-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

janet ellis

The brown booby is still on the breakwater By the USS hornet. They do not allow high power cameras, they restricted Off ferry point. A guard said told us you can go on the other side between 6am and 10 PM over by the runways. You left on Monarch and turn left at the bus Workshop.
Janet Ellis
San Leandro

    https://info.yahoo.com/legal/ us/yahoo/utos/terms/