butterfly migration now

kathrynspence@att.net

Yesterday between 4-6 p.m. I counted 267 orange butterflies flying north over my Moraga house.They looked like California Tortoiseshells but they were pretty high and didn’t stop, so I am not positive.

It’s going on again now!

Also, our first Hooded Oriole and Selasphorus hummingbird of the season arrived today.

Kathryn Spence

Lisa Wahl

The one in my backyard was either a Painted Lady or the Tortoiseshell. We’ve had large numbers of Painted Ladies in the east bay before.

On Mar 29, 2018, at 10:50 AM, Kathryn Spence kathrynspence@att.net [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Yesterday between 4-6 p.m. I counted 267 orange butterflies flying north over my Moraga house.They looked like California Tortoiseshells but they were pretty high and didn’t stop, so I am not positive.

It’s going on again now!

Also, our first Hooded Oriole and Selasphorus hummingbird of the season arrived today.

Kathryn Spence

Kay Loughman

Yesterday - I counted more than 100 California Tortoiseshells flying up Claremont Canyon (in the hills on the Berkeley/Oakland border).  They were very focused on where they were going; no possibility of me getting a photo. The species is known for periodic big migrations.

Kay Loughman
Berkeley