Bird alarm cry identification

David Brostoff

Tonight from about 8:00 to 8:30 p.m. I heard a loud bird alarm cry from somewhere high in the hillside oaks near the Clark Kerr Campus in Berkeley.

It was a single-note, full-throated scream that lasted for a second or so and was repeated about every five seconds.

There is a recording here:
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sqkcvpf2oet17he/AABnF948HCw_9yJKbIbbxUiva?dl=0>

I would be grateful for an identification.

David

rfs_berkeley

Barn Owl

Tonight from about 8:00 to 8:30 p.m. I heard a loud bird alarm cry from somewhere high in the hillside oaks near the Clark Kerr Campus in Berkeley.

It was a single-note, full-throated scream that lasted for a second or so and was repeated about every five seconds.

There is a recording here:

I would be grateful for an identification.

David

David Brostoff

On Feb 5, 2018, at 9:02 PM, Rusty Scalf <rscalf@sonic.net> wrote:

Barn Owl
Thank you for the identification -- it certainly sounds like the "territorial scream or advertising call" here:
<https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barn_Owl/sounds>

There have been Great Horned Owls around here from time to time -- in fact, it was one of those many years ago that got me interested in birding -- but never a Barn Owl until now. (At least I have never seen one here myself and haven't read about sightings by others on this list.)

David