Tropical Kingbird in Heather Farm Park

rosita94598

I saw the Tropical Kingbird a little later this morning, something around 10 AM or just after.  It was left of the gravel boat ramp at the southwest corner of the large, mostly natural pond.  Had it not sallied out and back, thus showing its brilliant yellow underside, I might never have seen it.  It was perched on a low limb in shadows and was facing away from me.  The soft green back, dark tail and gray head were not particularly outstanding unless one knew where to look with binoculars.  It was amazing how well it hid.

As Tracy indicated, the (a) Tropical Kingbird was first sighted in late January of 2014.  So it was present for at least the second half of that winter.  It then overwintered 2014-2015, 2015-2016 and is now here beginning its 4th winter visit.  We'll see if it sticks out for he remainder of this one.

A n Ebird map showing Tropical Kingbird sightings for California can be seen here:  http://ebird.org/ebird/map/trokin?bmo=01&emo=12&byr=1900&eyr=2016&yr=&env.minX=-124.416&env.minY=32.531&env.maxX=-114.129&env.maxY=42.01&gp=true

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek