From: markmwegner@...
To: EBB_Sightings@...
Sent:Fri Feb 7 05:13:56 UTC 2014
Subject: Re: [EBB_Sightings] Pt. Richmond Slaty-backed still there

From: Noah Arthur
To: "EBB_Sightings@..."
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:38 PM

Hi everyone. I got to Pt. Richmond more than two hours before low tide today, and almost the first bird I laid eyes on was the adult SLATY-BACKED GULL ("Slaty 1"), the one with two white primary coverts on the right wing.

As low tide approached, however, diversity seemed to decline, with most of the birds being GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS. They're big and mean and I'm thinking they may have chased away a lot of the others, including Slaty 1. It also seemed like at any given moment a large percentage of the Glaucous-wings were singing -- deafening in some places, and making it almost impossible to pick out the calls of other gulls.

Low tide tomorrow is at 12:49pm, although I'd suggest getting there well before low tide so that hopefully you'll get to see something other than Glaucous-winged Gulls!

Noah Arthur, Oakland, CA

Wendy Parfrey

Hi Mike,

I've also had a Hermit Thrush around the house since early December, both on the deck under the feeders and foraging in the ivy on the upslope area.  I'm in the Oakland Hills.  The last time I saw one was eight years ago.

Wendy

To: EBB_Sightings@...
From: mikeshannon@...
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:46:38 +0000
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Hermit thrush in Castro Valley

I was pleasantly surprised to see a Hermit Thrush feeding on the ground underneath my feeder this morning. I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I have seen one in my yard. I am in Palomares Hills, near the fire station. I have resident populations of chestnut backed chickadees, bewicks wrens, Nutalls woodpeckers and the usual assortment of sparrows, finches, towhees, scrub jays, morning doves, rock doves and hummingbirds.

Mike Shannon

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

Alan Howe

I'll join the crowd. Yesterday morning a hermit thrush popped up on top of some berry bushes in our back yard, joining our resident Bewick's wren and a female Anna's HB (which I suspect might have been checking out nesting sites). Nice to have these as neighbors.
Peace,
Alan Howe
North Oakland

To: EBB_Sightings@...
From: mikeshannon@...
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:46:38 +0000

I was pleasantly surprised to see a Hermit Thrush feeding on the ground underneath my feeder this morning. I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I have seen one in my yard. I am in Palomares Hills, near the fire station. I have resident populations of chestnut backed chickadees, bewicks wrens, Nutalls woodpeckers and the usual assortment of sparrows, finches, towhees, scrub jays, morning doves, rock doves and hummingbirds.

Mike Shannon

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

Jay

I have a hermit thrush every year.  Is this unusual?  Has been 6 years I would estimate.  I enjoyed views last weekend from about 2 feet away as it foraged in a berry bush in between robin runs, would sometimes even hover in the air for a second or two.  This bird, if it's the same one is one of the few to continue to winter after our neighbors got feisty cats--it spends more time in the opposite yard.  I do miss the GC sparrows, now there is rarely anything on the ground.

I live in North Berkeley a little bit up the hill.

To: EBB_Sightings@...
From: mikeshannon@...
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:46:38 +0000

I was pleasantly surprised to see a Hermit Thrush feeding on the ground underneath my feeder this morning. I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I have seen one in my yard. I am in Palomares Hills, near the fire station. I have resident populations of chestnut backed chickadees, bewicks wrens, Nutalls woodpeckers and the usual assortment of sparrows, finches, towhees, scrub jays, morning doves, rock doves and hummingbirds.

Mike Shannon

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

janet ellis

Don't know if it counts but I've seen the Hermit Thrush at Don Castro

To: EBB_Sightings@...
From: mikeshannon@...
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:46:38 +0000

I was pleasantly surprised to see a Hermit Thrush feeding on the ground underneath my feeder this morning. I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I have seen one in my yard. I am in Palomares Hills, near the fire station. I have resident populations of chestnut backed chickadees, bewicks wrens, Nutalls woodpeckers and the usual assortment of sparrows, finches, towhees, scrub jays, morning doves, rock doves and hummingbirds.

Mike Shannon

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

Barbara Quein

I've seen a hermit thrush several times in the last two weeks, twice in my back yard-once on my deck! I'm in Albany on the North Berkeley border.
Hope it sticks around for the Cornell Great Back Yard Bird Count beginning this Friday.
Barbara Quein

To: EBB_Sightings@...
From: mikeshannon@...
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:46:38 +0000

I was pleasantly surprised to see a Hermit Thrush feeding on the ground underneath my feeder this morning. I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I have seen one in my yard. I am in Palomares Hills, near the fire station. I have resident populations of chestnut backed chickadees, bewicks wrens, Nutalls woodpeckers and the usual assortment of sparrows, finches, towhees, scrub jays, morning doves, rock doves and hummingbirds.

Mike Shannon

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

Susan Russell <owlycat@...>

I can't hold out any longer. Yesterday I looked out to my backyard from the upper deck and a hermit thrush was taking a vigorous bath in the very full birdbath. I have been seeing at least one since the end of October 2013 and I have had at least one every year since 1998 when I started keeping my yard bird list. They enjoy berries on my privet and pyracantha. I'm in Montclair near Snake and Skyline.

Susan Russell

On Feb 11, 2014, at 8:43 PM, Barbara Quein wrote:

I've seen a hermit thrush several times in the last two weeks, twice in my back yard-once on my deck! I'm in Albany on the North Berkeley border.

Hope it sticks around for the Cornell Great Back Yard Bird Count beginning this Friday.
Barbara Quein

On Feb 11, 2014, at 7:30 PM, Jay Dodge <saltdodge@...> wrote:

I have a hermit thrush every year. Is this unusual? Has been 6 years I would estimate. I enjoyed views last weekend from about 2 feet away as it foraged in a berry bush in between robin runs, would sometimes even hover in the air for a second or two. This bird, if it's the same one is one of the few to continue to winter after our neighbors got feisty cats--it spends more time in the opposite yard. I do miss the GC sparrows, now there is rarely anything on the ground.

I live in North Berkeley a little bit up the hill.

Sent from my iPad

To: EBB_Sightings@...
From: mikeshannon@...
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:46:38 +0000

I was pleasantly surprised to see a Hermit Thrush feeding on the ground underneath my feeder this morning. I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I have seen one in my yard. I am in Palomares Hills, near the fire station. I have resident populations of chestnut backed chickadees, bewicks wrens, Nutalls woodpeckers and the usual assortment of sparrows, finches, towhees, scrub jays, morning doves, rock doves and hummingbirds.

Mike Shannon

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

Jane Chinn

Just adding to the chatter on Hermit Thrush.  I've had the pleasure of watching a Hermit Thrush at my birdbath almost every morning since November.  This is the first sighting in my yard in the 10 years I have lived here.  I'm in the Hayward hills above Cal-State.

Peace,

Jane Chinn

I can't hold out any longer.  Yesterday I looked out to my backyard from the upper deck and a hermit thrush was taking a vigorous bath in the very full birdbath.  I have been seeing at least one since the end of October 2013 and I have had at least one every year since 1998 when I started keeping my yard bird list.  They enjoy berries on my privet and pyracantha.  I'm in Montclair near Snake and Skyline.

Susan Russell

On Feb 11, 2014, at 8:43 PM, Barbara Quein wrote:

> I've seen a hermit thrush several times in the last two weeks, twice in my back yard-once on my deck! I'm in Albany on the North Berkeley border.
>
> Hope it sticks around for the Cornell Great Back Yard Bird Count beginning this Friday.
> Barbara Quein
>
> On Feb 11, 2014, at 7:30 PM, Jay Dodge <saltdodge@...> wrote:
>

>> I have a hermit thrush every year.  Is this unusual?  Has been 6 years I would estimate.  I enjoyed views last weekend from about 2 feet away as it foraged in a berry bush in between robin runs, would sometimes even hover in the air for a second or two.  This bird, if it's the same one is one of the few to continue to winter after our neighbors got feisty cats--it spends more time in the opposite yard.  I do miss the GC sparrows, now there is rarely anything on the ground.
>>
>> I live in North Berkeley a little bit up the hill.
>>

>> On Feb 11, 2014, at 5:55 PM, Alan Howe <poethowe@...> wrote:
>>

>>> I'll join the crowd. Yesterday morning a hermit t! hrush popped up on top of some berry bushes in our back yard, joining our resident Bewick's wren and a female Anna's HB (which I suspect might have been checking out nesting sites). Nice to have these as neighbors.
>>> Peace,
>>> Alan Howe
>>> North Oakland
>>>

>>> On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:27 PM, Wendy Parfrey <wendybrk@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> I've also had a Hermit Thrush around the house since early December, both on the deck under the feeders and foraging in the ivy on the upslope area.  I'm in the Oakland Hills.  The last time I saw one was eight years ago.
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>
>>> To: EBB_Sightings@...
>>> From: mikeshannon@...
>>> Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:46:38 +0000
>>> Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Hermit thrush in Castro Valley
>>>
>>> I was pleasantly surprised to see a Hermit Thrush feeding on the ground underneath my feeder this morning. I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I have seen one in my yard. I am in Palomares Hills, near the fire station. I have resident populations of chestnut backed chickadees, bewicks wrens, Nutalls woodpeckers and the usual assortment of sparrows, finches, towhees, scrub jays, morning doves, rock doves and hummingbirds.
>>>
>>> Mike Shannon
>>>
>>> Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    EBB_Sightings-digest@...
    EBB_Sightings-fullfeatured@...

Anne Krysiak

Hi: I live in Castro Valley near Lake Chabot.  I've had a hermit thrush visiting my yard for several years.  I only see one (or one at a time).  It's very skittish and flies off at the slightest noise or motion.

Anne K.