Topics

trash

Anne Ardillo

I was at 51st and Meeker Slough yesterday during King Tide and was dismayed to see all the trash that was floating in the wetlands and bay. Does anyone know who I can complain to?  I would think it would be easy enough to clean it up esp all the plastic and Styrofoam that is washing up against the edges. Thinking of bringing a long net with me next time I am there.

Anne Ardillo

Colin Jensen

There is no one to complain to because no agency is responsible for cleaning trash on the bay and shorelines.

There are volunteers who clean up parts of the Don Edwards Refuge. Last year they hauled away 48 *truckloads* of trash. Contact the refuge HQ to get info about how to volunteer.

If somewhere you bird is messy, the simplest thing to do is bring a plastic bag and gloves (or buy a trash grabber) and make it a bit cleaner each time you visit.

Michael Helm <cecinit2007@...>

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Colin Jensen <cjensenbird@...> wrote:

There is no one to complain to because no agency is responsible for cleaning trash on the bay and shorelines.

On Jan 31, 2014, at 5:39 AM, aardillo@... wrote:

I was at 51st and Meeker Slough yesterday during King Tide and was dismayed to see all the trash that was floating in the wetlands and bay. Does anyone know who I can complain to?

I was thinking the same thing a  few weeks ago.
I definitely think there are a few places we could try
(I'm new to this game tho).  Since this is probably
off topic for this group, maybe we should continue
this privately.

patricia ternahan

Save the Bay often organizes clean-ups and plantings.

Patricia Ternahan

ternahan@...
" A life without a dog is a mistake."
   Carl Zuckmayer

"Compassion is a verb"
  Thich Nhat Hanh

On Jan 31, 2014, at 5:39 AM, <aardillo@...> wrote:

I was at 51st and Meeker Slough yesterday during King Tide and was dismayed to see all the trash that was floating in the wetlands and bay. Does anyone know who I can complain to?  I would think it would be easy enough to clean it up esp all the plastic and Styrofoam that is washing up against the edges. Thinking of bringing a long net with me next time I am there.

Anne Ardillo

Raleigh McLemore

Beth and I have had the same concerns.  We worried that we might disturb some birds we couldn't see by poking around and couldn't reach much without trampling on things.  The Oakland Tool Lending Library has extension light bulb removers and they might do the least amount of damage to the surrounding mudflat because they can grip can sized objects from a safe place on the shore.  Swimming pool nets are also a possibility as they can pick up paper, etc., but have the same potential danger of "dragging" through the grass and mud and disturbing a nest or bird that you can't see from a distance. Maybe the best thing is to try to keep to the banks and away from the areas that we can't see, get the obvious stuff before it floats further inland.

I know Beth and I would be willing to take a low tide morning or afternoon, bring some heavy garbage bags, gloves and do some clean up but I'd like to hear from the Save the Bay folks before we set this up.  Hate to do more harm than good.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh and Beth

Mike Shannon

Well, I am thinking we can all help. When you visit these places, take a garbage bag with you and haul out a bunch of that garbage. If we all do this, maybe the place will get cleaner?

Mike

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App