Evening Grosbeak (Coccothraustes vespertinus) in Contra Costa Co. photos.

albertlinkowski

Today, 10/12/2012 at Inspiration Point (Tilden Regional Park), Contra Costa County, have watched The Evening Grosbeak (Coccothraustes vespertinus). I noticed him sitting high atop a pine tree about 30 meters before the first bench on the main trail (ignore the first bench at the beginning), where it bend sharply to the right. Also in the area many Pygmy and RB Nuttchaches, Siskins, four Townsend's Warblers, three RB Sapsuckers, three Varied Thrushes, no less than 120 A.Robins, at least 22 Band-tailed Pigeons (flock of 8,8, 22)

Good birding,

Albert W. Linkowski

poor quality photos

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3xf0P8X854vIVYl7bXYGoNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ysWrQ8Yf8G8iO6PeaOPa7NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

George A Suennen

Albert,

I was at Jewel Lake in Tilden yesterday and saw about 70 Band-tailed
Pigeons. Three large flocks
that seemed to scatter every time a Turkey Vulture passed over head,
which was often since there
were 5 flying around the area. Here are a few shots:

http://birds.jorj7.com/2012/121210-Jewel-Lake/slides/1210-090409-02.html

Seems you had a busy day yesterday.

Thanks for the updates,
George