Eared Grebes up close at Coyote Hills Regional Park

Larry H. Thompson <thompson14ster@...>

On Saturday morning (Oct 27) I spent a couple of hours on the shoreward portion of the No-name Trail. My best encounter was with about 10 Eared Grebes, which were very cooperative and are shown at:
http://pick14.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?search=eared+grebe&flags=col2:&res=640

There were more than 100 American Avocets, but they were hard to approach and flew several times.

I found a Semipalmated Sandpiper among a group of Least Sandpipers.
http://pick14.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?search=Semipalmated+Sandpiper&flags=col2:&res=640

I also had a fly-by of an Elegant Tern:
http://pick14.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?search=Sterna+elegans&flags=col2:&res=640

There was a White-Tailed Kite sitting for several hours in the top of a tree at Dairy Glen. It was also fairly approachable.

Good birding
Larry Thompson
Livermore, CA

Joe Morlan

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 19:57:52 -0000, "Larry H. Thompson"
<thompson14ster@...> wrote:

I found a Semipalmated Sandpiper among a group of Least Sandpipers.
http://pick14.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?search=Semipalmated+Sandpiper&flags=col2:&res=640
Larry,

That photo is labeled from 2007-2010. Do you have photos of the current
bird with date and locality indicated? Or is that the bird?

Semipalmated Sandpiper in California in late October would be
unprecedented.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

Matthew Dodder

Larry,
I believe this would be an exceptionally late date for Semipalmated Sandpiper in
the Bay Area.
Do you have a current picture of the bird you found?

Matthew Dodder
http://www.birdguy.net
http://www.zazzle.com/mdodder
http://neornithes.wordpress.com/

________________________________
[...]

Clicking on the images which gives locality and dates. I now see that most
of those photos are from Florida. But I found one photo from Coyote Hills
at..

http://pick14.pick.uga.edu/mp/20p?see=I_LHT5504&res=640

Is that the bird? The date says 24 April 2012 but the photo looks like a
Western Sandpiper to me.

I cannot find a Semipalmated Sandpiper photo from 29 October. Am I missing
something?

Thanks.

<thompson14ster@...> wrote:

I found a Semipalmated Sandpiper among a group of Least Sandpipers.
http://pick14.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?search=Semipalmated+Sandpiper&flags=col2:&res=640

Larry,

That photo is labeled from 2007-2010. Do you have photos of the current
bird with date and locality indicated? Or is that the bird?

Semipalmated Sandpiper in California in late October would be
unprecedented.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

Jerry Ting

After reading Larry's report yesterday (10/29), I went to No Name Trail and stayed there from 3:30-5:20PM.

I did find several Eared Grebes (in basic plumage http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/8137148504/in/photostream) in the area but no signs of the Semipalmated Sandpiper neither the Elegant Tern.

I did find a single HY Western Sandpiper feeding on the shore along with a group of Least Sandpipers:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/8137166170/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/8138609133/in/photostream

A group of 15+ Dunlins also mixed with the Least Sandpipers:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/8138614187/in/photostream

Other noticables in the area include 20+ American Pipit foraging on the levee just passed the 'Restricted Area' sign and a flew by Brown Pelican.

There were also 2 White-tailed Kites in South Marsh, a Cooper's Hawk on Sycamore Tree right beside the Bayview Trail at Glenn Dairy, and a Sharp-shinned Hawk on the hill side of Quarry Parking area.

Happy Birding,
Jerry Ting
Fremont