Retry - Miller Knox for Phila Rogers

Bob Lewis

Dear Friends:

I'm posting this hoping that the confusion over changing my email address (after my most recent "hacking") has been resolved. My birding buddy and sharp eyes, Sylvia Hawley, and I drove out to the Pt. Richmond shoreline, in the late morning.

Walking down the slope toward the beach at Miller-Knox park, our attention was immediately drawn to the branches of an overhanging live oak where we saw a towhee-sized bird with bright yellow underparts, black wings with white wing bars. The bird (a male Western Tanager) then flew over to a myoporum lower on the slope to join two of its kind. One bird, clearly visible, had an olive-green back, no discernible wing bars, and a soft yellow breast and belly, most closely resembling the gray morph female in the Nat'l Geo field guide. It also closely resembled the female Scarlet Tanager but as my birding profile does not include the phrase "she who sees really rare birds," I'm settling for the slightly "beefier," most likely Western Tanager. The third tanager only gave use a partly obscured view as it joined in eating berries.

It was a lovely day along the shore, and we continued walking south along the track hoping to find more migrants in the fennel. No water birds in sight only a tanker slowing making its way out toward the open sea. The water lapped against the shore making rhythmic susurous sounds.

Meanwhiile back on the hill. Scrub Jays are in "high dungeon" as they declare ownership of my live oak laden with a bumper crop of acorns.

--Phila Rogers