Richmond area in the AM then Hayward Shoreline (2/16)

George A Suennen

Hello again,

Just to recap the comments so far, 9 confirm it's a Tropical Kingbird and
1 wonders if it could be a Cassin's Kingbird. I went out again this morning
to see if I could get a better shot with the morning sun, but there was a
Kestrel sitting on the phone wire about the fence where I saw the kingbird
yesterday. So it wasn't there.

At least I got a good shot of an American Kestrel:

http://birds.jorj7.com/2012/120217-Richmond-Eastshore-Park/slides/0217-100742-01.html

Thanks for all the input,
George
http://birds.jorj7.com

George A Suennen

I stopped by this afternoon (~4:30). Didn't find it on 51st,
but when I went around the block to 49th street I saw a kingbird
on the fence. It was on the West side, so had the sun behind it.
Also it kept it's back to me. I took a few photos, but can't tell
for sure if it's Tropical or Western Kingbird. Photos at:

http://birds.jorj7.com/2012/120215-Richmond-Eastshore-Park/slides/0216-163058-03.html

Maybe someone could tell from these backlite photos.

George
(sorry if double posted)

Bob Richmond

After missing the Tropical Kingbird yesterday, I returned just after 8 am and saw it for about 5 min. It then disapeared and I never saw it again. A Northern Rough-winged Swallow was also in the area. I then went to Richmond Marina (I only stayed 10-15 min) and saw the Black Scoter in the marina and scoping out Brooks Island, I saw 4 Black Oystercatchers. I then returned to the shoreline.

Nothing unusual was at Winton Ave. On Mt. Trashmore the usual geese were seen - 4 Ross's Geese, 3 Snow Geese, 1 probable Ross x Snow, 2 Ridgway's Geese, and 245 Aleutian Geese. The Long-tailed Duck was still off Cogswell Marsh. Last saturday, Peter and I saw 95 Tree Swallows and 2 Barn Swallows. Today I only saw 4 Tree Swallows and 2 Barn Swallows.

Bob