Presumed Pacific Slope Flycatcher, Dunsmuir-Hellman Estate Grounds, Oakland

Joe Morlan

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 06:06:40 -0000, "bacpab" <bacpab@...> wrote:

I've posted photos at:

http://pbacchetti.zenfolio.com/p280541190

Any thoughts about the identity of the bird are welcome.
It looks more like a Hammond's Flycatcher to me.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
Birding Classes start Feb 7 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/

Patricia Bacchetti

While on the grounds of the Dunsmuir House today during the Oakland CBC, we found a bird fly catching from a tree on the north edge of the lawn area, just east of the small pond. At a distance, I suspected that it was just another of the many Yellow-rumped Warblers that we saw during the day. When we got closer, though, it was clearly an empidomax flycatcher. Luckily, my camera was handy and I was able to get photos from about 15 ft away. It was easily observed for 5 minutes, and continued to fly catch and go back to the original perch several times before flying off to a more distant tree; it didn't vocalize during the time that we observed it. The bird was the right size and shape for a Pacific Slope FC: tear-dropped shaped eyering, bicolored bill, gray-green back, rump,and flanks; grayish head; moderate primary projection and long tail; distinct tan wingbars and edges to the terials. I've posted photos at:

http://pbacchetti.zenfolio.com/p280541190

Any thoughts about the identity of the bird are welcome.

The Dunsmuir-Hellman Historic Estate is located off of Highway 580 at Peralta Oaks Drive. From the west, take the 106th/Foothill exit, make 3 left turns at the stop signs, go under the freeway, and follow the signs to Dunsmuir-Hellman Estate on Peralta Oaks Drive.

Other highlights of the day included 2 Glaucous-winged Gulls eating McDonald's left-overs in downtown San Leandro, at Davis St; a large flock (>100) of Yellow-rumped Warblers at King Estates Open Space; several Fox Sparrows on the grounds of the Oakland Zoo; and 3 White-throated Swifts over Upper Knowland Park, off of Skyline Dr. A good time was had by all, especially during the golf cart ride while birding the Sequoyah Golf Course.

Cheers,

Pat Bacchetti
Oakland