Topics

Peanut eating Crow

Ken Wilson <kaeagles@...>

For the past month I've seen peanuts disappear from the feeder and yet I wasn't seeing or hearing our local Scrub Jay. I knew we didn't have a squirrel visiting, so who was taking the peanuts? A rat? A mouse? Well today we finally saw a Crow quietly tiptoe to the tray feeder, causiously look around, and then sneak off with a peanut. He made a few return trips. This was surprising because rarely in the 5 years I've been at this location have I seen a Crow in the backyard.

This is the week I always look forward to because our plant detroying White-crowned Sparrows normally depart for the Spring and Summer. I can uncover the new shoots soon.

Ken Wilson
Pleasanton