Date   
Hooded Oriole in the Laurel District Oakland.

Marcus
 

This afternoon.  Heard it chucking before it flew overhead, flying westward towards MacAurthur Blvd.
A rare sighting around here.

Marcus Pun
Video Editor / Producer/Editor / Camera
C: 510-384-8085 | H: 510-530-2507
Oakland, CA

Re: Injured Merlin near Marina Bay

Carolyn Arnold
 

Thank you for looking for so long and for reporting back, Mary!  Guess it’s fledge day for them!  How lucky for them they have you around!
Carolyn 


On Jul 9, 2020, at 1:59 PM, Mary Malec <malecm@...> wrote:

Followup to the grounded juvenile peregrine along the Bay Trail

I searched from about 8:45 until 11:30, then again from 12:30 to 1:30 and did not see him.  The initial observations of behavior (from the bicyclist who spotted the juv) seemed to indicate that he was grounded and not injured so hopefully he has gotten off the ground and onto a tree or structure and can make his way back to his parents.  Both adults and his sibling were on their nest structure when I started looking for the juv.  By midday the second juvenile had fledged. 

Thanks to all for reporting this grounded peregrine.

Mary

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 9:07 AM Carolyn Arnold <carnold@...> wrote:
Oh good, I’m glad you are there, Mary!   I just posted on calFalcon.. will let them know. 

Carolyn L. Arnold
4827 Brookdale Ave.
Oakland, CA 94619
(510) 590-1172 iPhone

On Jul 9, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Mary Malec <malecm@...> wrote:

It's not a Cal bird.  I.m on site looking for ot to pick it up

Mary Malec

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, 9:02 AM Carolyn Arnold <carnold@...> wrote:
Thanks for checking Preston! 

Could it be one of the UCB Camponole peregrines that fledged a few weeks ago - Redwood, Sequoia, or Poppy?  They are banded.  Can’t enlarge that picture to see. 
That group should be alerted.

Carolyn in Oakland. 


On Jul 9, 2020, at 7:06 AM, Preston Mui <prestonmui@...> wrote:

Someone (not me) posted a bike ride on Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/3734689326 with  a picture of what I believe to be a Merlin (not so great with falcons, but I'm basing this on the chest streaking).

You can see a "98 P" band on the bird's leg. I do not know the status of the bird or if he called anyone to pick it up but I am riding out this morning to look for it.








Re: Injured Merlin near Marina Bay

Mary Malec
 

Followup to the grounded juvenile peregrine along the Bay Trail

I searched from about 8:45 until 11:30, then again from 12:30 to 1:30 and did not see him.  The initial observations of behavior (from the bicyclist who spotted the juv) seemed to indicate that he was grounded and not injured so hopefully he has gotten off the ground and onto a tree or structure and can make his way back to his parents.  Both adults and his sibling were on their nest structure when I started looking for the juv.  By midday the second juvenile had fledged. 

Thanks to all for reporting this grounded peregrine.

Mary


On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 9:07 AM Carolyn Arnold <carnold@...> wrote:
Oh good, I’m glad you are there, Mary!   I just posted on calFalcon.. will let them know. 

Carolyn L. Arnold
4827 Brookdale Ave.
Oakland, CA 94619
(510) 590-1172 iPhone

On Jul 9, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Mary Malec <malecm@...> wrote:

It's not a Cal bird.  I.m on site looking for ot to pick it up

Mary Malec

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, 9:02 AM Carolyn Arnold <carnold@...> wrote:
Thanks for checking Preston! 

Could it be one of the UCB Camponole peregrines that fledged a few weeks ago - Redwood, Sequoia, or Poppy?  They are banded.  Can’t enlarge that picture to see. 
That group should be alerted.

Carolyn in Oakland. 


On Jul 9, 2020, at 7:06 AM, Preston Mui <prestonmui@...> wrote:

Someone (not me) posted a bike ride on Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/3734689326 with  a picture of what I believe to be a Merlin (not so great with falcons, but I'm basing this on the chest streaking).

You can see a "98 P" band on the bird's leg. I do not know the status of the bird or if he called anyone to pick it up but I am riding out this morning to look for it.






Re: Injured Merlin near Marina Bay

Carolyn Arnold
 

Oh good, I’m glad you are there, Mary!   I just posted on calFalcon.. will let them know. 

Carolyn L. Arnold
4827 Brookdale Ave.
Oakland, CA 94619
(510) 590-1172 iPhone

On Jul 9, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Mary Malec <malecm@...> wrote:

It's not a Cal bird.  I.m on site looking for ot to pick it up

Mary Malec

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, 9:02 AM Carolyn Arnold <carnold@...> wrote:
Thanks for checking Preston! 

Could it be one of the UCB Camponole peregrines that fledged a few weeks ago - Redwood, Sequoia, or Poppy?  They are banded.  Can’t enlarge that picture to see. 
That group should be alerted.

Carolyn in Oakland. 


On Jul 9, 2020, at 7:06 AM, Preston Mui <prestonmui@...> wrote:

Someone (not me) posted a bike ride on Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/3734689326 with  a picture of what I believe to be a Merlin (not so great with falcons, but I'm basing this on the chest streaking).

You can see a "98 P" band on the bird's leg. I do not know the status of the bird or if he called anyone to pick it up but I am riding out this morning to look for it.






Re: Injured Merlin near Marina Bay

Preston Mui
 

I checked the Cal falcons bands it is not one of them. I notified them anyways to see if they have any information.

I was out there this morning around 8 and could not find it. Best of luck Mary.


On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 9:04 AM Mary Malec <malecm@...> wrote:
It's not a Cal bird.  I.m on site looking for ot to pick it up

Mary Malec

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, 9:02 AM Carolyn Arnold <carnold@...> wrote:
Thanks for checking Preston! 

Could it be one of the UCB Camponole peregrines that fledged a few weeks ago - Redwood, Sequoia, or Poppy?  They are banded.  Can’t enlarge that picture to see. 
That group should be alerted.

Carolyn in Oakland. 


On Jul 9, 2020, at 7:06 AM, Preston Mui <prestonmui@...> wrote:

Someone (not me) posted a bike ride on Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/3734689326 with  a picture of what I believe to be a Merlin (not so great with falcons, but I'm basing this on the chest streaking).

You can see a "98 P" band on the bird's leg. I do not know the status of the bird or if he called anyone to pick it up but I am riding out this morning to look for it.




Re: Injured Merlin near Marina Bay

Mary Malec
 

It's not a Cal bird.  I.m on site looking for ot to pick it up

Mary Malec

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, 9:02 AM Carolyn Arnold <carnold@...> wrote:
Thanks for checking Preston! 

Could it be one of the UCB Camponole peregrines that fledged a few weeks ago - Redwood, Sequoia, or Poppy?  They are banded.  Can’t enlarge that picture to see. 
That group should be alerted.

Carolyn in Oakland. 


On Jul 9, 2020, at 7:06 AM, Preston Mui <prestonmui@...> wrote:

Someone (not me) posted a bike ride on Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/3734689326 with  a picture of what I believe to be a Merlin (not so great with falcons, but I'm basing this on the chest streaking).

You can see a "98 P" band on the bird's leg. I do not know the status of the bird or if he called anyone to pick it up but I am riding out this morning to look for it.




Re: Injured Merlin near Marina Bay

Carolyn Arnold
 

Thanks for checking Preston! 

Could it be one of the UCB Camponole peregrines that fledged a few weeks ago - Redwood, Sequoia, or Poppy?  They are banded.  Can’t enlarge that picture to see. 
That group should be alerted.

Carolyn in Oakland. 


On Jul 9, 2020, at 7:06 AM, Preston Mui <prestonmui@...> wrote:

Someone (not me) posted a bike ride on Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/3734689326 with  a picture of what I believe to be a Merlin (not so great with falcons, but I'm basing this on the chest streaking).

You can see a "98 P" band on the bird's leg. I do not know the status of the bird or if he called anyone to pick it up but I am riding out this morning to look for it.



Thursday birds and a bit more

rosita94598
 

I usually refer to it as the summer doldrums, the period after breeding when the fledglings have dispersed with their parents.  In Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek, it becomes pretty quiet in the morning.

I have been watching the second Killdeer family on the north ball fields; two parents and two kids were seen today.

Otherwise, it is sometimes a Titmouse, maybe a Bushtit family, a White-breasted Nuthatch is around, the Western Bluebirds are around with their teenagers. 

I heard a Red-shouldered Hawk today, but did not see one in the usual tree on the slope to the left of the owl box. 

Sometimes we have the Green Heron or a Black-crowned Night-Heron, but not today.  We had a Great Egret, instead.

Another regular and I heard a Kingfisher rattle, but did not actually see it.  We have been having a father-son pair on occasion.  Monday I saw dad beating a small fish before finally giving it to the son.

A couple of things which caught my attention were the calling Raven on top of one of the conifers near the wooden railing parking lot.  The other thing which pleased me was seeing a Pied-billed Grebe.  Despite the numbers of visits, I had not seen one since June 24.

Yesterday I ventured into Alameda, hoping to see the terns on the marina breakwater at Balena Bay.  It was a very low tide shortly after 10 AM, and not a single bird was present.  I did see some presumed Forster's Terns to the left of the Crab Cove area; Western Gulls and a Great Blue Heron were along the rocks on the drive in.

I also drove to Alameda Point, which is hard to negotiate with all the construction.  I stopped near the Hornet and saw four different ships on which I worked during my sea-going career.  I also drove south of the control tower for the former air station and was able to see lots of Brown Pelicans on a distant breakwater and some Least Terns foraging in the entry channel.

I was told by Ethan Monk that he had a Costa's Hummingbird  in his Alamo yard.  An eBird report is here:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S71255798

With post-breeding dispersal and the early fall migration period, one never knows what might be around.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Re: Injured Merlin near Marina Bay

 

That’s a peregrine.


On Jul 9, 2020, at 08:27, Preston Mui <prestonmui@...> wrote:


Someone (not me) posted a bike ride on Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/3734689326 with  a picture of what I believe to be a Merlin (not so great with falcons, but I'm basing this on the chest streaking).

You can see a "98 P" band on the bird's leg. I do not know the status of the bird or if he called anyone to pick it up but I am riding out this morning to look for it.


Injured Merlin near Marina Bay

Preston Mui
 

Someone (not me) posted a bike ride on Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/3734689326 with  a picture of what I believe to be a Merlin (not so great with falcons, but I'm basing this on the chest streaking).

You can see a "98 P" band on the bird's leg. I do not know the status of the bird or if he called anyone to pick it up but I am riding out this morning to look for it.

Rufus/Allens Hummingbird

marilynwojcik@...
 

Yesterday evening and again this morning we had a Rufus/Allens hummer at the feeder, I can't really tell for sure which one it is, but I thought it was a little early for them to come along.
Marilyn Wojcik
Concord

Surfbird at Oro Loma Marsh

James
 

Sorry about the late report, but I had a single Surfbird at Oro Loma Marsh (Hayward Shoreline).  It was in the pickleweed between the two bridges north of Frank's Dump.  There were also a couple dozen Short-billed Dowitchers interspersed among the Willets and Marbled Godwits.  I'll have to check Ebird but I think this may be the earliest I've seen a Surfbird there.  Bring on fall migration!

James Watts
Hayward

Semipalmated Sandpiper

Ethan Monk
 

Earlier this afternoon at Frank's Dump there was a Semipalmated Sandpiper occasionally visible with about 200 Western Sandpipers and 50 Least from 1-2pm. After my last glimpse around 2pm I never saw the bird again, and the number of peeps in the pond swelled drastically to a little under a thousand. I've added a description and a couple poor photos to eBird. Also of note were 43 Knot, 3 Ruddy Turnstone, one Dunlin in basic plumage that I would assume is summering--we're still a couple months off from when Dunlin begin to arrive-- and briefly saw one small, pale shorebird that I originally assumed was a leucistic Western, but in retrospect was probably a (the?) summering Sanderling. Unsure.

By my count there have already been 7-8 Semipalmated Sandpipers seen in the state this year? which isn't a bad total for the first week of July. Maybe it will be a great season for them, especially once the juvs start to come through. Keep your eyes open.

Good birding,
Ethan

Pelicans

John H. Maurer
 

Sorry for the late report, but there 5 White Pelicans on the main pond at Aquatic Park about 4:00 P.M. today. They were on the west side of the lagoon, toward the south end--where the mud flats are. (When they show. It was high tide and the mud flats weren't there, but they are a good landmark anyway.)

John

Junco thread closed

Aaron Maizlish
 

HI All,

I’m going to close down this thread in the spirit of moving on to the next sightings.  Yes, there are lots of juncos out there, and they seem to be spreading everywhere in urban parks and in mature suburban neighborhoods.

Alia - that was funny.  I assure you that there are lots of men and women out there with magical powers.  It turns out that hearing Juncos is not one of those powers.

Keep the bird posts coming!

Aaron Maizlish
Moderator

On Jul 4, 2020, at 3:52 PM, Christina Tarr <christina.tarr@...> wrote:

I think I'm seeing more than usual, too -- in fact, for the first time I've noticed, they're regularly in my backyard. I'm also seeing a lot of baby juncos. (I'm in central/North Berkeley)


On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 8:21 AM Alia.S. <ealiasalim@...> wrote:
I'm a newbie and can't make informed comparisons to previous years, but—junco story:

Before I started trying to recognize birds myself, I used to mountain bike with a guy who had a habit of stopping in the trail, staring intently off into the trees, and then declaring "dark-eyed junco" with the sort of solemnity you'd use for a medical diagnosis. At the time I thought this was totally charming and extremely impressive, but I've now realized 1) juncos are not that hard to identify and 2) they're *everywhere*!

Now juncos are my personal reminder that men do not have magic powers and I can probably learn to do whatever charming thing they're doing for myself if I make an effort. If there are enough juncos around this year, maybe I'll learn to work on my own car! :D



--
Christina Tarr
510-375-0520


locked Re: Banner Year for Juncos? Or watchers?

Christina Tarr
 

I think I'm seeing more than usual, too -- in fact, for the first time I've noticed, they're regularly in my backyard. I'm also seeing a lot of baby juncos. (I'm in central/North Berkeley)


On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 8:21 AM Alia.S. <ealiasalim@...> wrote:
I'm a newbie and can't make informed comparisons to previous years, but—junco story:

Before I started trying to recognize birds myself, I used to mountain bike with a guy who had a habit of stopping in the trail, staring intently off into the trees, and then declaring "dark-eyed junco" with the sort of solemnity you'd use for a medical diagnosis. At the time I thought this was totally charming and extremely impressive, but I've now realized 1) juncos are not that hard to identify and 2) they're *everywhere*!

Now juncos are my personal reminder that men do not have magic powers and I can probably learn to do whatever charming thing they're doing for myself if I make an effort. If there are enough juncos around this year, maybe I'll learn to work on my own car! :D



--
Christina Tarr
510-375-0520

locked Re: Banner Year for Juncos? Or watchers?

Alia.S.
 
Edited

I'm a newbie and can't make informed comparisons to previous years, but—junco story:

Before I started trying to recognize birds myself, I used to mountain bike with a guy who had a habit of stopping in the trail, staring intently off into the trees, and then declaring "dark-eyed junco" with the sort of solemnity you'd use for a medical diagnosis. At the time I thought this was totally charming and extremely impressive, but I've now realized 1) juncos are not that hard to identify and 2) they're *everywhere*!

Now juncos are my personal reminder that men do not have magic powers and I can probably learn to do whatever charming thing they're doing for myself if I make an effort. If there are enough juncos around this year, maybe I'll learn to work on my own car! :D

(P.S. Moderator(s), let me know if I have wandered too far off topic; I'm learning the rules!)

Red-wing blackbirds

wespey
 

Friday July 3 I saw a flock of several hundred red-wing blackbirds in the Wilder real estate development in Orinda. They were at the intersection of Fiddleneck Way and Bigleaf Road. The time was approximately 2:30 pm.

Bill Espey

locked Re: Banner Year for Juncos? Or watchers?

Phila Rogers
 

Hello:

Though I still get EBB postings because I lived most of my life in Berkeley, I'm now in Santa Barbara Where the big talk here among the birders is the unusual amount of juncos of all ages.  It appears some of the adults are now on their third nests.  Do they know something we don't know?  Phila Rogers


On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 12:45 PM Rosemary Johnson <compasros@...> wrote:
I'm seeing what I think is an unusually large number in all the parks I visit: Tilden, Briones, Pt. Pinole, Sibley, Fernandez Ranch.

Rosemary Johnson
Hercules
On 07/03/2020 11:14 AM Robert Firehock <rafirehock@...> wrote:


Are others seeing a lot more Juncos this year? I have and I wonder if it is just because I'm spending more time birding on local walks in my North Oakland neighborhood, including my backyard, or are there a lot more this year? I've had several 'family' cycles already around my feeder, as opposed to one or none observed in past years, and I find them singing away a lot more on my daily local walks, too (around Claremont and College Avenues). Or are all the birds more 'present' due to the more benign conditions in this urban habitat under shelter in place? Thanks for any perspective.

And while on Juncos, I observed one interesting behavior. An adult was feeding at my platform feeder in mid-afternoon, when most of the seeds were already eaten. Suddenly it began hopping up 2-3" and flapping its wings in a low hover for 1-2 seconds. It repeated this 6-8 times. There were no other birds on the feeder, or discernible threats in the yard. I don't want to ascribe intention, but the outcome of this behavior was that empty seed hulls were blown off the feeder, leaving those that were still intact more easily visible. Between most 'hovers' the Junco would continue its hunt and peck feeding.

Meanwhile, please all enjoy the 'local' urban birding while we can, the daily noise seems to be creeping back.

Robert






locked Re: Banner Year for Juncos? Or watchers?

Rosemary Johnson
 

I'm seeing what I think is an unusually large number in all the parks I visit: Tilden, Briones, Pt. Pinole, Sibley, Fernandez Ranch.

Rosemary Johnson
Hercules

On 07/03/2020 11:14 AM Robert Firehock <rafirehock@...> wrote:


Are others seeing a lot more Juncos this year? I have and I wonder if it is just because I'm spending more time birding on local walks in my North Oakland neighborhood, including my backyard, or are there a lot more this year? I've had several 'family' cycles already around my feeder, as opposed to one or none observed in past years, and I find them singing away a lot more on my daily local walks, too (around Claremont and College Avenues). Or are all the birds more 'present' due to the more benign conditions in this urban habitat under shelter in place? Thanks for any perspective.

And while on Juncos, I observed one interesting behavior. An adult was feeding at my platform feeder in mid-afternoon, when most of the seeds were already eaten. Suddenly it began hopping up 2-3" and flapping its wings in a low hover for 1-2 seconds. It repeated this 6-8 times. There were no other birds on the feeder, or discernible threats in the yard. I don't want to ascribe intention, but the outcome of this behavior was that empty seed hulls were blown off the feeder, leaving those that were still intact more easily visible. Between most 'hovers' the Junco would continue its hunt and peck feeding.

Meanwhile, please all enjoy the 'local' urban birding while we can, the daily noise seems to be creeping back.

Robert