Date   

Re: Second-hand Weirdness

Sharon Jue
 

Either Coots or Gallinules would be surprising in that location, though. Is there any possibility it was a crow/raven/blackbird that the light was hitting oddly?


On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 9:05 PM Susana dT <trapaga@...> wrote:
May be a Common Gallinule immature? The legs and bill are not black but could be dark enough in the distance.
Just guessing.


Re: Second-hand Weirdness

Susana dT
 

May be a Common Gallinule immature? The legs and bill are not black but could be dark enough in the distance.
Just guessing.


Re: Eurasian Green-winged Teal at Albany Bulb

Sharon Jue
 

Interesting, I saw a male Eurasian x American Green-wing Teal on the Albany mudflats in 2017; not great photo here:


On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 7:53 PM Frank Fogarty <fogartyfa@...> wrote:
Fantastic! I've yet to pick out a Eurasian hen in the states. 

This male ended up being an intergrade - there was a faint, broken vertical white line visible when the bird moved into better light.

Checklist and poor digiscoped picture:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S65885307  

Frank

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 6:16 PM KENNETH ARCHAMBAULT <gm72125@...> wrote:
Frank, about 15 years ago, I filmed a male with a HEN Eurasian at Albany Bulb! At first she associated with the male American G-W teal, but on later visits I saw her withe the Eurasian male, and filmed her, finally got her spreading her wings, showing diagnostic field marks. Best. - Ken Archambault, Birmingham, Alabama
On Monday, March 16, 2020, 07:36:37 PM CDT, Frank Fogarty <fogartyfa@...> wrote:


Looking at a male Eurasian (Common) Teal on the mudflats in the NE corner of Albany Bulb right now.

Frank Fogarty
Arcata



Re: [CALBIRDS] Birding during the Current Shelter-in-Place Order

EBB-Archivist
 

Looking for some home-based, vicarious birding? Check out the Birding Videos linked on the Oct. 2019 BirdWideweb:
http://www.birdwideweb.com/2019-10-article.php

For feature-length birdy movies, check the Nov. 2017 Birdist list from National Audubon:
https://www.audubon.org/news/birdist-rule-74-watch-some-movies-about-birding

Dal Leite
Walnut Creek


Re: Eurasian Green-winged Teal at Albany Bulb

John Sterling
 

Only female that I’ve seen I the state was on a repositioning cruise about 40 miles offshore. Photographed 


John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

On Mar 16, 2020, at 7:52 PM, Frank Fogarty <fogartyfa@...> wrote:


Fantastic! I've yet to pick out a Eurasian hen in the states. 

This male ended up being an intergrade - there was a faint, broken vertical white line visible when the bird moved into better light.

Checklist and poor digiscoped picture:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S65885307  

Frank

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 6:16 PM KENNETH ARCHAMBAULT <gm72125@...> wrote:
Frank, about 15 years ago, I filmed a male with a HEN Eurasian at Albany Bulb! At first she associated with the male American G-W teal, but on later visits I saw her withe the Eurasian male, and filmed her, finally got her spreading her wings, showing diagnostic field marks. Best. - Ken Archambault, Birmingham, Alabama
On Monday, March 16, 2020, 07:36:37 PM CDT, Frank Fogarty <fogartyfa@...> wrote:


Looking at a male Eurasian (Common) Teal on the mudflats in the NE corner of Albany Bulb right now.

Frank Fogarty
Arcata



Re: Eurasian Green-winged Teal at Albany Bulb

Frank Fogarty
 

Fantastic! I've yet to pick out a Eurasian hen in the states. 

This male ended up being an intergrade - there was a faint, broken vertical white line visible when the bird moved into better light.

Checklist and poor digiscoped picture:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S65885307  

Frank


On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 6:16 PM KENNETH ARCHAMBAULT <gm72125@...> wrote:
Frank, about 15 years ago, I filmed a male with a HEN Eurasian at Albany Bulb! At first she associated with the male American G-W teal, but on later visits I saw her withe the Eurasian male, and filmed her, finally got her spreading her wings, showing diagnostic field marks. Best. - Ken Archambault, Birmingham, Alabama
On Monday, March 16, 2020, 07:36:37 PM CDT, Frank Fogarty <fogartyfa@...> wrote:


Looking at a male Eurasian (Common) Teal on the mudflats in the NE corner of Albany Bulb right now.

Frank Fogarty
Arcata


Re: Selasphorus hummingbird in Pleasant Hill

Diana Graham
 

I also have one in my garden in Moraga.  Right after I read your post, it flew up to my window so I could see its throat.  Before I had only been able to see its back.  This is the first time we have had one here.  It has been around for a few days.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Re: Shelter in Place -- 3 White-throated Sparrows!

Alan Bade
 

Our white throated sparrow is also a tan-striped and has been around since late Dec. (I'd love to have three!) And yes, the birding will still be good out our windows.
Stay healthy!
Alan Bade
Peasant Hill

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 3:58 PM Graham Chisholm <graham.chisholm@...> wrote:
While starting my sheltering in place this afternoon, I had 3 tan-striped White-throated Sparrows in our yard near San Carlos and Portland Ave in Albany.  We've had at least two all winter since 11/22/19, and only seen the third one one other time in December.  

Fortunately there is lots of good birding out our windows for the coming three weeks and I wish all well.  Stay healthy!  

Graham Chisholm
Berkeley, CA

--
Graham Chisholm
c. 510-409-6603


Re: Eurasian Green-winged Teal at Albany Bulb

KENNETH ARCHAMBAULT
 

Frank, about 15 years ago, I filmed a male with a HEN Eurasian at Albany Bulb! At first she associated with the male American G-W teal, but on later visits I saw her withe the Eurasian male, and filmed her, finally got her spreading her wings, showing diagnostic field marks. Best. - Ken Archambault, Birmingham, Alabama

On Monday, March 16, 2020, 07:36:37 PM CDT, Frank Fogarty <fogartyfa@...> wrote:


Looking at a male Eurasian (Common) Teal on the mudflats in the NE corner of Albany Bulb right now.

Frank Fogarty
Arcata


Re: Shelter in Place -- 3 White-throated Sparrows!

janet ellis
 

Would have to vary as I still have to work. 




On Monday, March 16, 2020, 5:14 PM, Dana Gallo via Groups.Io <danagallo68@...> wrote:

See second sentence at top.  If you are above 65 (seems to vary), stay home except for medical reasons.


On Mar 16, 2020, at 4:42 PM, Derek <dlheins@...> wrote:



Yes, here’s the info

http://www.acphd.org/2019-ncov.aspx

http://acphd.org/media/559658/health-officer-order-shelter-in-place-20200316.pdf

.

From page 3 in the second link:

 

For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following “Essential Activities.” But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care. i. To engage in activities or perform tasks essential to their health and safety, or to the health and safety of their family or household members (including, but not limited to, pets), such as, by way of example only and without limitation, obtaining medical supplies or medication, visiting a health care professional, or obtaining supplies they need to work from home. ii. To obtain necessary services or supplies for themselves and their family or household members, or to deliver those services or supplies to others, such as, by way of example only and without limitation, canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products, and products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences. Order of the County Health Officer to Shelter in Place Page 4 of 7 iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running. iv. To perform work providing essential products and services at an Essential Business or to otherwise carry out activities specifically permitted in this Order, including Minimum Basic Operations. v. To care for a family member or pet in another household

 

 

Derek Heins

 

From: EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Taylor
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 4:35 PM
To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Shelter in Place -- 3 White-throated Sparrows!

 

It’s my understanding we can go outside to exercise provided we go alone????



On Mar 16, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Graham Chisholm <graham.chisholm@...> wrote:



While starting my sheltering in place this afternoon, I had 3 tan-striped White-throated Sparrows in our yard near San Carlos and Portland Ave in Albany.  We've had at least two all winter since 11/22/19, and only seen the third one one other time in December.  

 

Fortunately there is lots of good birding out our windows for the coming three weeks and I wish all well.  Stay healthy!  

 

Graham Chisholm

Berkeley, CA

 

--

Graham Chisholm

c. 510-409-6603

 



Eurasian Green-winged Teal at Albany Bulb

Frank Fogarty
 

Looking at a male Eurasian (Common) Teal on the mudflats in the NE corner of Albany Bulb right now.

Frank Fogarty
Arcata


[CALBIRDS] Birding during the Current Shelter-in-Place Order

Aaron Maizlish
 

Birding friends,

As most of you hopefully know by now, a joint order was sent out today by the Public Health Departments for San Francisco, San Mateo, Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, Marin Counties and the City of Berkeley (which has its own public health department.).  The public health order instructs residents to Shelter-in-Place at their place of residence except for to conduct Essential Activities.  The order extends through April 7th, and makes it a misdemeanor to ignore the order.  The Public Health Order defines Essential Activities and defines appropriate Social Distancing Requirements that you must use when you are in a public space.

This is not the right forum to discuss and debate what will remain open and what will constitute an essential activity, and I’m not a medical professional or public health official anyway so you shouldn’t take advice from me. I will say however that it would be wise for you to read the notice that went out for your county rather than rely on social media and public opinion to tell you what you can and can’t do.  The notices (which are mostly the same by county) are clearly written. Take special note of the additional instructions for older people and people with health conditions.

For birding, it is important to note that outdoor exercise is covered as an allowable Essential Activity.  

a. For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following “Essential Activities.” But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care...

iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running.

Put simply, if you are healthy and not at high risk for illness you are legally permitted to engage in outdoor activities provide that you maintain six foot distance from others and practice other sanitary practices as outlined in the Order.  Whether you choose to do so or not is up to you.  I expect we will all learn in the next few days what is considered socially acceptable.  Speaking for myself, I plan to do some birding in order to get out of the house and get some exercise (since the gym is closed anyway), but I will probably choose regional parks and rural beaches rather than city parks in order to maintain isolation.  Also, I don’t plan to bird with a group or engage in any other group activities outside of the home. I did get a notice last night from East Bay Regional Parks that all facilities will be closed, but all parks and trails will remain open.  This too could change day to day.

I hope that the opportunity to get some sunshine and to look at birds in spring migration will be a welcome break from the stress of living under quarantine. 

Here are a few of the Public Health Orders.


I hope you all find this helpful.

Stay healthy!


Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco, CA



Re: Shelter in Place -- 3 White-throated Sparrows!

Dana Gallo
 

See second sentence at top.  If you are above 65 (seems to vary), stay home except for medical reasons.


On Mar 16, 2020, at 4:42 PM, Derek <dlheins@...> wrote:



Yes, here’s the info

http://www.acphd.org/2019-ncov.aspx

http://acphd.org/media/559658/health-officer-order-shelter-in-place-20200316.pdf

.

From page 3 in the second link:

 

For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following “Essential Activities.” But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care. i. To engage in activities or perform tasks essential to their health and safety, or to the health and safety of their family or household members (including, but not limited to, pets), such as, by way of example only and without limitation, obtaining medical supplies or medication, visiting a health care professional, or obtaining supplies they need to work from home. ii. To obtain necessary services or supplies for themselves and their family or household members, or to deliver those services or supplies to others, such as, by way of example only and without limitation, canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products, and products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences. Order of the County Health Officer to Shelter in Place Page 4 of 7 iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running. iv. To perform work providing essential products and services at an Essential Business or to otherwise carry out activities specifically permitted in this Order, including Minimum Basic Operations. v. To care for a family member or pet in another household

 

 

Derek Heins

 

From: EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Taylor
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 4:35 PM
To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Shelter in Place -- 3 White-throated Sparrows!

 

It’s my understanding we can go outside to exercise provided we go alone????



On Mar 16, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Graham Chisholm <graham.chisholm@...> wrote:



While starting my sheltering in place this afternoon, I had 3 tan-striped White-throated Sparrows in our yard near San Carlos and Portland Ave in Albany.  We've had at least two all winter since 11/22/19, and only seen the third one one other time in December.  

 

Fortunately there is lots of good birding out our windows for the coming three weeks and I wish all well.  Stay healthy!  

 

Graham Chisholm

Berkeley, CA

 

--

Graham Chisholm

c. 510-409-6603

 



Re: Second-hand Weirdness

Hilary Powers
 

On 3/16/2020 4:36 PM, Joe Morlan wrote:
How about a Coot? 

Hmmm - about the right size, white edges visible on wings - first candidate to offer that! I'll show the guy a pic, but he did claim the legs (and I think the beak) were black.

Thanks for the thought!


On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 14:41:35 -0700, "Hilary Powers"
<hilary@...> wrote:

What bird is black, sort of crow-sized, and shows white feathers along 
the edges of its wings when it flies? Has black legs. Bigger than a 
pigeon. No crest.

Yeah. I can't think of any either.

But a mostly bird-blind friend swore up and down that he saw three of 
them near Berkeley Bowl (the old one, near Shattuck) yesterday. Said he 
thought crows, or maybe ravens, till they flew; figured the first one to 
take off was just elderly (yah, I know), but then all three showed the 
same markings - "like a dagged edge" on the wing. White, or maybe light 
gray....

Google Images didn't ring any bells for me this morning.

Speculation to while away a solitary Monday?
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA


    


-- 
~            Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA          ~
~  www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~
~         Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures        ~


Re: Shelter in Place -- 3 White-throated Sparrows!

Derek
 

Yes, here’s the info

http://www.acphd.org/2019-ncov.aspx

http://acphd.org/media/559658/health-officer-order-shelter-in-place-20200316.pdf

.

From page 3 in the second link:

 

For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following “Essential Activities.” But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care. i. To engage in activities or perform tasks essential to their health and safety, or to the health and safety of their family or household members (including, but not limited to, pets), such as, by way of example only and without limitation, obtaining medical supplies or medication, visiting a health care professional, or obtaining supplies they need to work from home. ii. To obtain necessary services or supplies for themselves and their family or household members, or to deliver those services or supplies to others, such as, by way of example only and without limitation, canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products, and products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences. Order of the County Health Officer to Shelter in Place Page 4 of 7 iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running. iv. To perform work providing essential products and services at an Essential Business or to otherwise carry out activities specifically permitted in this Order, including Minimum Basic Operations. v. To care for a family member or pet in another household

 

 

Derek Heins

 

From: EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Taylor
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 4:35 PM
To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Shelter in Place -- 3 White-throated Sparrows!

 

It’s my understanding we can go outside to exercise provided we go alone????



On Mar 16, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Graham Chisholm <graham.chisholm@...> wrote:



While starting my sheltering in place this afternoon, I had 3 tan-striped White-throated Sparrows in our yard near San Carlos and Portland Ave in Albany.  We've had at least two all winter since 11/22/19, and only seen the third one one other time in December.  

 

Fortunately there is lots of good birding out our windows for the coming three weeks and I wish all well.  Stay healthy!  

 

Graham Chisholm

Berkeley, CA

 

--

Graham Chisholm

c. 510-409-6603

 


Re: Shelter in Place -- 3 White-throated Sparrows!

Edward Vine
 

Yes that is my understanding too. They have not closed parks. 

Ed


On Mar 16, 2020, at 4:35 PM, Steve Taylor <s-taylor@...> wrote:

It’s my understanding we can go outside to exercise provided we go alone????


On Mar 16, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Graham Chisholm <graham.chisholm@...> wrote:


While starting my sheltering in place this afternoon, I had 3 tan-striped White-throated Sparrows in our yard near San Carlos and Portland Ave in Albany.  We've had at least two all winter since 11/22/19, and only seen the third one one other time in December.  

Fortunately there is lots of good birding out our windows for the coming three weeks and I wish all well.  Stay healthy!  

Graham Chisholm
Berkeley, CA

--
Graham Chisholm
c. 510-409-6603



Re: Shelter in Place --

Graham Chisholm
 

Derk Heins shared a copy of the order which allows exercise as long as you use social distance.  Graham

For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following “Essential Activities.” But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care. i. To engage in activities or perform tasks essential to their health and safety, or to the health and safety of their family or household members (including, but not limited to, pets), such as, by way of example only and without limitation, obtaining medical supplies or medication, visiting a health care professional, or obtaining supplies they need to work from home. ii. To obtain necessary services or supplies for themselves and their family or household members, or to deliver those services or supplies to others, such as, by way of example only and without limitation, canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products, and products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences. Order of the County Health Officer to Shelter in Place Page 4 of 7 iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running. iv. To perform work providing essential products and services at an Essential Business or to otherwise carry out activities specifically permitted in this Order, including Minimum Basic Operations. v. To care for a family member or pet in another household

 


On Mar 16, 2020, at 4:35 PM, Steve Taylor <s-taylor@...> wrote:

It’s my understanding we can go outside to exercise provided we go alone????


On Mar 16, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Graham Chisholm <graham.chisholm@...> wrote:


While starting my sheltering in place this afternoon, I had 3 tan-striped White-throated Sparrows in our yard near San Carlos and Portland Ave in Albany.  We've had at least two all winter since 11/22/19, and only seen the third one one other time in December.  

Fortunately there is lots of good birding out our windows for the coming three weeks and I wish all well.  Stay healthy!  

Graham Chisholm
Berkeley, CA

--
Graham Chisholm
c. 510-409-6603



Re: Second-hand Weirdness

Joe Morlan
 

How about a Coot?

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 14:41:35 -0700, "Hilary Powers"
<hilary@...> wrote:

What bird is black, sort of crow-sized, and shows white feathers along
the edges of its wings when it flies? Has black legs. Bigger than a
pigeon. No crest.

Yeah. I can't think of any either.

But a mostly bird-blind friend swore up and down that he saw three of
them near Berkeley Bowl (the old one, near Shattuck) yesterday. Said he
thought crows, or maybe ravens, till they flew; figured the first one to
take off was just elderly (yah, I know), but then all three showed the
same markings - "like a dagged edge" on the wing. White, or maybe light
gray....

Google Images didn't ring any bells for me this morning.

Speculation to while away a solitary Monday?
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA


Re: Shelter in Place -- 3 White-throated Sparrows!

Steve Taylor
 

It’s my understanding we can go outside to exercise provided we go alone????


On Mar 16, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Graham Chisholm <graham.chisholm@...> wrote:


While starting my sheltering in place this afternoon, I had 3 tan-striped White-throated Sparrows in our yard near San Carlos and Portland Ave in Albany.  We've had at least two all winter since 11/22/19, and only seen the third one one other time in December.  

Fortunately there is lots of good birding out our windows for the coming three weeks and I wish all well.  Stay healthy!  

Graham Chisholm
Berkeley, CA

--
Graham Chisholm
c. 510-409-6603


Shelter in Place -- 3 White-throated Sparrows!

Graham Chisholm
 

While starting my sheltering in place this afternoon, I had 3 tan-striped White-throated Sparrows in our yard near San Carlos and Portland Ave in Albany.  We've had at least two all winter since 11/22/19, and only seen the third one one other time in December.  

Fortunately there is lots of good birding out our windows for the coming three weeks and I wish all well.  Stay healthy!  

Graham Chisholm
Berkeley, CA

--
Graham Chisholm
c. 510-409-6603