Date   
Re: UC Berkeley Peregrine Falcons - eggs warm enough?

Carolyn Arnold
 

Is anyone else watching these falcons? Would you like to have a discussion about what we see?

Right now, I”m wondering if the eggs are being kept warm enough, since both parents have left the eggs for up to an hour or so alone, even on these cold nights.
I thought that the eggs needed to be kept warm all the time to incubate.

Also, peregrines usually have 3 eggs, laid 48 hours apart. That is about now, so I’m watching!

Happy birding, or watching cams,
Carolyn in Oakland

On Mar 20, 2019, at 11:38 AM, Carolyn Arnold <carnold@...> wrote:

Thank you Anne! The second egg appeared sometime this morning, I think just before 8 am!
The cam lets you go back up to 4 hours, and you can see the eggs at 8:00, 9:41, and 10:48, and 11:18.
It looks like dad came in soon after the egg was laid, and relieved mom for an hour to go feed.
Since then, it’s been mom sitting…

With a 29-33 incubation period, that means hatching sometime starting the week of April 15th..


On Mar 19, 2019, at 5:33 PM, Anne Krysiak <vakrysiak@...> wrote:

The Peregrine Family nesting on the Campanile has laid it's first egg of 2019.
You can watch the nestcam at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaJuC-rxVAQ.
The outside camera is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5BofDM7eAQ


Re: UC Berkeley Peregrine Falcons - eggs warm enough?

Melani King
 

Carolyn,

On the Facebook page for the Cal Falcons one of the posts has this:

'Falcons, like most birds will wait until they have a full clutch of eggs before they start to incubate. This ensures that all the eggs develop at the same rate and hatch at roughly the same time.'

-Melani King
Pt. Richmond

On 3/21/19 1:42 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
Is anyone else watching these falcons? Would you like to have a discussion about what we see?

Right now, I”m wondering if the eggs are being kept warm enough, since both parents have left the eggs for up to an hour or so alone, even on these cold nights.
I thought that the eggs needed to be kept warm all the time to incubate.

Also, peregrines usually have 3 eggs, laid 48 hours apart. That is about now, so I’m watching!

Happy birding, or watching cams,
Carolyn in Oakland


On Mar 20, 2019, at 11:38 AM, Carolyn Arnold <carnold@...> wrote:

Thank you Anne! The second egg appeared sometime this morning, I think just before 8 am!
The cam lets you go back up to 4 hours, and you can see the eggs at 8:00, 9:41, and 10:48, and 11:18.
It looks like dad came in soon after the egg was laid, and relieved mom for an hour to go feed.
Since then, it’s been mom sitting…

With a 29-33 incubation period, that means hatching sometime starting the week of April 15th..


On Mar 19, 2019, at 5:33 PM, Anne Krysiak <vakrysiak@...> wrote:

The Peregrine Family nesting on the Campanile has laid it's first egg of 2019.
You can watch the nestcam at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaJuC-rxVAQ.
The outside camera is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5BofDM7eAQ





The Nutall's are taking their time Oakland Laurel

Marcus
 

Past two days have heard the Nutall's call or pounding on the tree in front of my house. Today a female Nutall's was back to inspect the tree and peck around.   Everything seems to be running later this season. This time last year the nest was basically dug out and the female was inspecting and doing some of her own nest excavation.

Marcus Pun
Video Editor / Producer/Editor / Camera
C: 510-384-8085 | H: 510-530-2507
Oakland, CA

Peregrine incubating Thursday 3.21.19 pm

Alan Kaplan
 

Friends!
I returned from the GGAS talk by Alan Fish on the falcons and looked at WebCam 1.
Annie the female was near the eggs and then covered them for incubation. This was at 2133hrs, Thursday 3,21.19. A great big Thank You to everyone working on these WebCams at the Campanile.
Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan

Re: Peregrine incubating Thursday 3.21.19 pm

Lorrie Klosterman
 

Hi folks,
I've wondered how the peregrines nesting in UC Berkeley's campanile can
tolerate the tremendous "gong" of the bells as they chime out the top of
the hour daily from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Do they fly out each time?
Because I live a few blocks from campus -- within ear-shot of the bells --
I watched the nest videocam when I heard the bells from my apartment. To my
disbelief, the bird on the nest had absolutely no reaction. But then, just
as the chimes stopped, the bird shook its head, several times in a row, in
a rhythmic fashion -- which is when I realized that the gongs were going
off *on the videocam* (barely audible). So there is a slight delay between
real time (my apartment) and what we view on the videocam. Knowing that, I
watched again on the next hour, and listened for the gongs on the videocam.
Sure enough, again the bird shook its head in rhythm with the gongs. It
also sometimes opened its beak very wide, or looked as though it was going
to regurgitate. All of those behaviors seem to me evidence that the bird is
having a physical reaction to the sound. Because its hearing system (like
ours) includes narrow tubes which connect the middle ear to its throat, the
beak/throat movements might be the peregrine's equivalent of our attempts
to "clear our ears" with a change in air pressure. Well, at least it didn't
fly away, which is what I was expecting. What, I wonder, will happen during
the long Sunday afternoon serenade?
Update -- this just in! While writing this, the 11 a.m. bells went off and
the nesting bird had no head reactions this time. I don't know if it's the
same bird as yesterday (do males and females take turns incubating?) This
bird's tail, however, was slightly pumping -- hmm, is this the female
laying another egg?

--Lorrie K.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019, 8:09 AM Alan Kaplan <LNKPLN67@...> wrote:

Friends!
I returned from the GGAS talk by Alan Fish on the falcons and looked at
WebCam 1.
Annie the female was near the eggs and then covered them for incubation.
This was at 2133hrs, Thursday 3,21.19. A great big Thank You to everyone
working on these WebCams at the Campanile.
Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan



3rd egg arrived at UC Berkeley Peregrine Falcon nest

Lee Friedman
 

Earlier this morning on the UC Berkeley Peregrine Falcon nest, there were only two eggs. But at 11:38AM I saw clearly a third egg, just as Alan Fish correctly predicted last night at the GGAS talk.

Nest cam is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaJuC-rxVAQ


Good birding,

Lee Friedman

Re: Peregrine incubating Thursday 3.21.19 pm

Alan Kaplan
 

Hi, Lorrie
Thanks for writing.
You ask a question the audience at the talk on Thursday evening had, too.
Alan from GGRO said they don’t notice the bells! Behavior doesn’t change noticeably.

For the human effects, on the other hand,
read The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers, a Lord Peter Wimsey novel that resurrected the almost lost art (or at least increased the appreciation) of “ringing the changes” on carillons.

On Mar 22, 2019, at 11:31 AM, Lorrie Klosterman <loklosterman@...> wrote:

Hi folks,
I've wondered how the peregrines nesting in UC Berkeley's campanile can tolerate the tremendous "gong" of the bells as they chime out the top of the hour daily from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Do they fly out each time?
Because I live a few blocks from campus -- within ear-shot of the bells -- I watched the nest videocam when I heard the bells from my apartment. To my disbelief, the bird on the nest had absolutely no reaction. But then, just as the chimes stopped, the bird shook its head, several times in a row, in a rhythmic fashion -- which is when I realized that the gongs were going off on the videocam (barely audible). So there is a slight delay between real time (my apartment) and what we view on the videocam. Knowing that, I watched again on the next hour, and listened for the gongs on the videocam. Sure enough, again the bird shook its head in rhythm with the gongs. It also sometimes opened its beak very wide, or looked as though it was going to regurgitate. All of those behaviors seem to me evidence that the bird is having a physical reaction to the sound. Because its hearing system (like ours) includes narrow tubes which connect the middle ear to its throat, the beak/throat movements might be the peregrine's equivalent of our attempts to "clear our ears" with a change in air pressure. Well, at least it didn't fly away, which is what I was expecting. What, I wonder, will happen during the long Sunday afternoon serenade?
Update -- this just in! While writing this, the 11 a.m. bells went off and the nesting bird had no head reactions this time. I don't know if it's the same bird as yesterday (do males and females take turns incubating?) This bird's tail, however, was slightly pumping -- hmm, is this the female laying another egg?

--Lorrie K.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019, 8:09 AM Alan Kaplan <LNKPLN67@...> wrote:
Friends!
I returned from the GGAS talk by Alan Fish on the falcons and looked at WebCam 1.
Annie the female was near the eggs and then covered them for incubation. This was at 2133hrs, Thursday 3,21.19. A great big Thank You to everyone working on these WebCams at the Campanile.
Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan


Re: Peregrine incubating Thursday 3.21.19 pm

Peter Rauch
 

Lorrie, Maybe their reaction to the bell-ringing that you've observed is
because they partially deaf now?

Alan,
What, if any, was the basis that GGAS Alan offered for his comment that the
birds don't notice?
(I suppose one might conclude that for the purposes of selecting and
establishing a nest and brood, the bell-ringing didn't make them "notice"
enough to reject the site.)

Peter

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 2:03 PM Alan Kaplan <LNKPLN67@...> wrote:

Hi, Lorrie
Thanks for writing.
You ask a question the audience at the talk on Thursday evening had, too.
Alan from GGRO said they don’t notice the bells! Behavior doesn’t change
noticeably.

For the human effects, on the other hand,
read The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers, a Lord Peter Wimsey novel that
resurrected the almost lost art (or at least increased the appreciation) of
“ringing the changes” on carillons.

On Mar 22, 2019, at 11:31 AM, Lorrie Klosterman <loklosterman@...>
wrote:

Hi folks,
I've wondered how the peregrines nesting in UC Berkeley's campanile can
tolerate the tremendous "gong" of the bells as they chime out the top of
the hour daily from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Do they fly out each time?
Because I live a few blocks from campus -- within ear-shot of the bells
-- I watched the nest videocam when I heard the bells from my apartment. To
my disbelief, the bird on the nest had absolutely no reaction. But then,
just as the chimes stopped, the bird shook its head, several times in a
row, in a rhythmic fashion -- which is when I realized that the gongs were
going off on the videocam (barely audible). So there is a slight delay
between real time (my apartment) and what we view on the videocam. Knowing
that, I watched again on the next hour, and listened for the gongs on the
videocam. Sure enough, again the bird shook its head in rhythm with the
gongs. It also sometimes opened its beak very wide, or looked as though it
was going to regurgitate. All of those behaviors seem to me evidence that
the bird is having a physical reaction to the sound. Because its hearing
system (like ours) includes narrow tubes which connect the middle ear to
its throat, the beak/throat movements might be the peregrine's equivalent
of our attempts to "clear our ears" with a change in air pressure. Well, at
least it didn't fly away, which is what I was expecting. What, I wonder,
will happen during the long Sunday afternoon serenade?
Update -- this just in! While writing this, the 11 a.m. bells went off
and the nesting bird had no head reactions this time. I don't know if it's
the same bird as yesterday (do males and females take turns incubating?)
This bird's tail, however, was slightly pumping -- hmm, is this the female
laying another egg?

--Lorrie K.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019, 8:09 AM Alan Kaplan <LNKPLN67@...> wrote:
Friends!
I returned from the GGAS talk by Alan Fish on the falcons and looked at
WebCam 1.
Annie the female was near the eggs and then covered them for
incubation. This was at 2133hrs, Thursday 3,21.19. A great big Thank You to
everyone working on these WebCams at the Campanile.
Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan




Harris's Sparrow continues, Castle Rock Regional Recreation Area, Walnut Creek

tracy_farrington
 

At 8:30, this morning, I found the HARRIS'S SPARROW on the mowed lawn south of the red barn, which
is at the south end of the grassy ball field. As before, it was among 20+ Golden-crowned Sparrows. A bit
later, I was joined by Kai Mills and Erica Kawata, and together, we had good looks at this continuing
bird.
Just about Spring, folks!
Good birding,
Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek

Re: Harris's Sparrow continues, Castle Rock Regional Recreation Area, Walnut Creek

John Sterling
 

Just found the sparrow in the one lone horseshoe pit on the south side of the ball field by the picnic tables.
John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

On Mar 23, 2019, at 11:02 AM, tracy_farrington via Groups.Io <tracy_farrington=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

At 8:30, this morning, I found the HARRIS'S SPARROW on the mowed lawn south of the red barn, which
is at the south end of the grassy ball field. As before, it was among 20+ Golden-crowned Sparrows. A bit
later, I was joined by Kai Mills and Erica Kawata, and together, we had good looks at this continuing
bird.
Just about Spring, folks!
Good birding,
Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek


White-throated Sparrow at Briones Reservoir

Daniel Fitzgerald
 

I was out testing a new lens and happened to capture this White-throated Sparrow along Bear Creek Road in the EBMUD property.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/156457454@N02/33576073518/in/dateposted-public/Dan Fitzgerald

White-throated Sparrow (2nd Attempt)

Daniel Fitzgerald
 

I was out testing a new lens and happened to capture this White-throated Sparrow along Bear Creek Road in the EBMUD property.  Zonotrichia albicollis

|
|
|
| | |

|

|
|
| |
Zonotrichia albicollis

White-throated Sparrow
|

|

|



Dan Fitzgerald

Cassin's Vireo - Creekside Park 3-23-19

hoggsville
 

A Cassin's Vireo was present on the Alameda county side of El Cerrito Creek foraging in the willows with an assortment of warblers, tits, chickadees and goldfinches. This was only the second sighting of Cassin's I've had at that park. FOS Wilson's warbler was present.

You can view pictures here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54153529

Thanks,
Jack Hayden
Albany

Bullock's Oriole arrival, Castle Rock Regional Park, Walnut Creek

tracy_farrington
 

I was birding, this morning, with Paul and Nancy Schorr in Castle Rock Regional Park when we discovered two
bright male BULLOCK'S ORIOLES. The first was in one of the Locust trees just west of the basketball court that's adjacent to the
restrooms in the pool area; the other was in an oak about two hundred yards up the canyon road from there. It's March 24 and
these are, I believe, first of the season for this area. In any given year, I've counted as many as five nesting pair in a stretch of less than a mile
from the pool.
Good birding.
Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek

Harris's Sparrow - Castle Rock Park, Walnut Creek - 3/24

Paul Schorr
 

At 11:30 today we rebound the Harris’s Sparrow. We spotted the bird just below the red maintenance barn in left-center field at the large ball field. Many thanks to Tracy Farrington who guided us through the park and helped us locate the bird. As Tracy already reported, finding the Bullock’s Orioles was certainly an additional notable sighting.

Good birding,

Paul and Nancy Schorr
Antioch

Black Scoters still at Richmond Marina

Joe Morlan
 

Two male Black Scoters continued at the Richmond Marina today. Both of
them quite vocal as they continually chased after a bewildered female Surf
Scoter.

Photos and checklist:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54196793

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Pleasanton Bald Eagle

Derek
 

Today at 3:45 while looking out my office window at Koll Center off Bernal
Avenue in Pleasanton during a conference call without my glasses on I
noticed a fuzzy raptor with white on its tail soaring nearby. I
quickly put on my
glasses to see a much crisper adult Bald Eagle circling over HW680
heading south.

Derek Heins

Surfbirds in San Leandro

Hilary Powers
 

This morning near low tide, about a dozen Surfbirds were working the rocky sand at the south end of the San Leandro Marina. They were just off the Bay side of the loop trail that runs out from the southern parking lot, between the shore and the lower of the two islands.

That was more individuals than anyone in the Tuesday4Birds group had ever seen at one time, and they were in a huge mixed group - all the usual shore birds, plus more Black Turnstones than we'd seen together before, a couple of Black Oystercatchers, and a black-bellied Black-bellied Plover.

The Surfbirds left before we did, but they might be back for another low tide....

--
~ Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA ~ ~ www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~ ~ Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures ~

Richmond Ridgway's Rails

Sheila Dickie
 

Yesterday, March 26, at 3 p.m. I was walking down the Richmond Bay Trail and came to the bridge just north of the 51st Street path and looked West a few yards to see a Ridgway's Rail on the mud preening. Next thing I saw was another rail swimming towards what turned out to be 'her'. They vocalized and then he came up the bank and they mated. Both then continued grooming and he also bathed. As I walked south to the 51st Street path another Ridgway's Rail swam East-West in the channel on my left.

The Snow Goose and its attendant eight Greater White-fronted Geese were on the lawn in the Richmond Harbor near the Rosie the Riveter Memorial along with a good number of Canada Geese.


Sheila Dickie
Richmond

Black Brant

Bob Richmond
 

Black Brant. Seen near the Encinal Boat Ramp in the lagoon enclosed by the breakwater. Seen both in the water and on the beach. I first saw it on March 8 but it may have been here longer. Also west of there in the lagoon was a Pacific Loon and a Brant's Cormorant.
Bob Richmond