Two Hermit Thrush - EBMUD-Bear Creek Staging Area

Denise Wight

Hi E. B. Birders,

Nothing rare to report, but it was nice to hear and see my first Hermit Thrush of the fall season on the west side of Briones Reservoir - Bear Creek Staging Area (EBMUD permit required). I heard the whistle call first, then that distinctive "chuck" call at an extremely low volume.  Both birds were within inches of one another. I got brief looks at the first bird, then a great, half-minute, eye-level-within-20-feet view of the second.  My guess is these birds had just arrived or maybe were moving through.

Between that Hermit Thrush "chuck" note and White-crowned Sparrows singing, it really sounds like fall!

All the Best Birding,
Denise Wight
Lafayette, CA