Re: Interesting tanager

hoggsville

It's odd that there is red anywhere other than the head. Hybrid Summer x Western?

Jack Hayden
Albany

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Joseph Morlan jmorlan@... [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply@...> wrote:

Kay,

Interesting bird. Western Tanager males get their red color entirely from
rhodoxanthin as opposed to other species which get red from a variety of
carotenoids.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/z91-325

Rhodoxanthin is acquired directly from plant food and has been attributed
as the cause for unusual red coloration in the Baltimore Oriole, Cedar
Waxwing and other species.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1676/11-161.1

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA