Interesting tanager

Kay Loughman

An unusual tanager spent two minutes (only) visiting one of the coffeeberry plants in our yard today. I was set to call it Western male, first fall, until I looked more closely at the photos I took. The things I noticed were that the orangish feathers were scattered well down the chest and onto the belly, flanks and upper tail coverts. Also, the upper wing bar was decidedly orange. I know tanagers can vary quite a bit in their coloration, but this is outside my experience.

<http://www.nhwildlife.net/album/New/slides/WETA-1832c-72.html>
<http://www.nhwildlife.net/album/New/slides/WETA-1835c-72.html>

This part of my north-facing hillside property barely gets any sun after mid-August, so the photos are shadier than I'd like. (The upside is that it takes the coffeeberries longer to ripen, so they're often available to the birds later than plants in sunnier parts of the yard.)

Comments appreciated.

Kay Loughman
in the hills on the Berkeley/Oakland border