Elegant Terns, Pt. Pinole

Sheila Dickie

Yesterday, September 5, 2016, I counted 61 Elegant Terns out on the old pilings adjacent to the Fishing Pier at the point at Pt. Pinole Regional Shoreline Park. Also present two Forsters Terns and two Black Oystercatchers plus a flyover of two Osprey and five Brown Pelican. One of the osprey came to roost on a piling near to its nest.

On Sunday I had counted 30 Forsters and eight Elegant Terns in the same location. Time for both days mid-afternoon.

There were many terns flying over the Bay as I walked back through the park along Owl Alley; maybe because there were people fishing near to where they usually roost at Whittell Marsh.

Sheila Dickie
Richmond