Crab Cove turnstones again, with link to Ruddy

Maureen Lahiff

I was on the trip, too, and I seriously doubt anyone saw a Marbled Murrelet.

I also think all the turnstones we saw were Black Turnstones.

Some had dark legs, some did not, but the ones that did not have dark,blackish legs did not have the strong orange color of the Ruddy Turnstones, definitely orange even in winter plumage.  All of the ones I saw had uniformly dark heads, upper chins and chests, with no white patches on their chins and no white surrounded by a brown U shape.

Here is what I think of as the quintessential winter Ruddy Turnstone from wikipedia commons:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ruddy_Turnstone_(Arenaria_interpres)_RWD1.jpg

I don't think we saw this bird; I think the one that caused the id that needed to be thought though looks like the first two winter Black Turnstones at allaboutbirds.org, which are west coast birds.

It was a great day, at both Crab Cove and Elsie Roemer.

I'm too humble to be definitive about the species of dowitcher.

The Black Oystercatcher was at Elsie Roemer, where one is seen more often than not.

There were Western Sandpipers at Elsie Roemer, too.

Happy World Shorebirds Days, everybodty.