Re: SWAINSON'S THRUSH

Bob Power <rcpower@...>

Sylvia,

This may or may not be helpful, from PRBO's species account (yes, I know -- Pt. Blue).

Departure date from breeding grounds: According to McCaskie (1988), departs Coast and Mountain regions late August through October. PRBO banding data for Marin County (1996 and 1997) -- latest capture dates October 16, 1996 and October 4, 1997.

Spring and Fall migration period: While SWTH is rare in Interior and Basin regions during the summer months, abundance peaks in Spring (April through May) and Fall (August through September) in these regions (McCaskie 1988) -- possibly indicating peak of Spring and Fall migration period in California.
---------

And at the same time, we're on the front end of Hermit Thrush arrival dates.

Best regards,

Bob Power
Oakland, CA