Blue-grey Gnatcatcher and more-Quarry Lakes

kathy jarrett

GGAS Bicycle Trip

Upper Alameda Creek/Quarry Lakes/Union City Library Pond

Union City, Niles & Fremont - Sat, Nov 13, 2010

The outstanding sighting of a great birding day was the
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher at the SE corner of Quarry Lakes; we saw it through the
fence in the bushes adjacent to the northern unpaved side of Alameda Creek.
From the same point we saw a very cooperative singing Bewick's Wren.

Nine of us started at Quarry
Lakes by biking around Rainbow Lake to Lago Los Osos and Willow Slough before heading up the trail to
Shinn Pond and Niles Community Park where we had lunch. During the patching of
two flat tires (avoid the Star Thistle!) a flock of Bonaparte's Gulls landed on
the creek adjacent to the park. Continuing up the trail we crossed over to the
Niles Staging Area and the end of the trail. The birding was quite good there,
with an Acorn Woodpecker, Belted Kingfisher, Spotted Sandpiper, Lesser
Yellowlegs and Cedar Waxwings. We thought we saw a Golden Eagle but it was
quite far away so I haven't put it on the list.

Going back downstream on the paved side of the trail, we
went north onto Decoto Rd then left on Royal Ann to the Union City Library Pond  where we saw the Wood Ducks and Wood
Duck/Mallard hybrid as well as the American Wigeon and what seemed to be an
American/Eurasian Wigeon Hybrid. There were also numerous Mallard hybrids that
one often sees in parks, including one that seemed to have some Shoveler
qualities. 59 species plus the hybrids:

Pied-billed Grebe

Horned Grebe

Eared Grebe