Frank's Dump "Stilt" Sandpiper

Steven Tucker

Hi birders,

A word of warning for anyone going out to Frank's Dump...this morning I checked my Alameda needs alert in eBird and saw photos of the Stilt Sandpiper reported at Frank's Dump yesterday. The bird looks very undowitcherlike, and appears to be a female Western Sandpiper, which are generally larger and longer-billed than male Westerns. The bird has a bill too short and droopy to be a Stilt, and in photos with Westerns in the frame, it is apparent that the bird is not big enough to be a Stilt, which are substantially larger than Western Sandpipers.

Steve Tucker
Oakland, CA