Raptor ID help; Danville

photohutch

Hi all,

This morning, I saw an odd raptor perched on a post alongside the Monte Vista football field. I didn't have my binocs and the glare off the stands was tough; however, it looked like a very large accipiter-like raptor. Looked similar to a very large Cooper's, but seemingly much bigger and longer, though similar coloration, especially around the head. Long tail and bent wings in flight. It flew and uttered a very soft flight call several times. Not the right coloration for a Red-shouldered; too thin for a Red-tailed. When it flew, another similar raptor took flight, as did what appeared to be the resident Red-shouldered. Am really perplexed.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Steve Hutchcraft
Alamo, CA