Middle Harbor Shoreline Park 7/30 and 7/31

Steven Tucker

Birders -

I birded Middle Harbor Shoreline Park both days this weekend on the falling tide. The area is very birdy (more so Saturday than today) and for those who are out and about looking for rare shorebirds, I recommend spending some time here on the falling or rising tide (there is no shorebird habitat at high tide) in the coming weeks. I was unable to pluck out anything of particular interest, but I did see my first juvenile arctic breeders of the season (Semipalmated Plover, Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper). Saw my first juvenile Short-billed Dowitchers of the season on 7/30 at the Elsie Roemer Sanctuary in Alameda.

The mudflats here are currently serving as a big staging area for Least Terns, with 190 yesterday and 181 today. I've never seen so many away from a nesting colony. Elegant Terns have returned in numbers, and the usual Forster's and Caspians are present as well.

Good birding,

Steve Tucker
Oakland