Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Birdwalk, July 1, 2016, Tilden Nature Area

Alan Kaplan

Tilden Nature Area, Contra Costa, California, US
Jul 1, 2016 8:30 AM - 11:00 AM

Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Bird Walk, July 1, 2016, Tilden Nature Area.

Today's theme was The Amazing Life and Legacy of Georg Wilhelm Steller: Birds, Botany, Bering and "Beasts of the Sea." Our Steller's Jay is named for him, as is a sea-eagle, an eider duck, an albatross, an extinct cormorant, an extinct "sea cow" Sirenian, and a sea lion. Our familiar Pelagic Cormorant was also called Bering's Cormorant, according to Bo Boelens et al, The Eponym Dictionary of Birds.

Here are the 34 species seen or heard by the 38 participants:

Mallard
Wild Turkey
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Allen's Hummingbird
Nuttall's Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Pacific-slope Flycatcher
Black Phoebe
Warbling Vireo
Steller's Jay       our theme bird today; we heard "wek" or shook-shook-shook call
Common Raven
Violet-green Swallow
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Oak Titmouse
Bushtit
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Bewick's Wren
Swainson's Thrush
American Robin
Orange-crowned Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Dark-eyed Junco
Song Sparrow
California Towhee
Spotted Towhee
Brown-headed Cowbird
Purple Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch

Best of Boids!

Alan Kaplan

Please use my new email address from now on:

Thanks,
Alan Kaplan