Coyote Hills RP, 3/17/16

Robert Furrow

This morning I brought my bike over to Coyote Hills, and birded through many of the trails, including a trip out the No Name Trail, north along the Shoreline Trail, then back along Alameda Creek.  I managed to eke out 103 species over the 3 1/2 hours.  Most were expected birds, but there were a few migrants and highlights.  I am largely just getting a feel for where to find certain target birds for the biking big day coming up in about a month.  I'm sure things will change as the marsh starts to recede a bit.

Highlights:

--1 Red-breasted Merganser.  By Alameda Creek mouth
--1 Osprey.  First seen over the Alameda Creek mouth around 9:30am, then seen again soaring over the North Marsh at 10:15am.
--1 Loggerhead Shrike.  Continuing wintering bird?  Seen at southern end of North Marsh.
--1 Rufous Hummingbird.  Adult male foraging in eucalyptus by the nectar garden.  I also had a Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird around the wild radish at the very mouth of Alameda Creek.  Surprising!
--1 House Wren.  Singing by Hoot Hollow
--1 Red-breasted Nuthatch.  With a large group of Yellow-rumped Warblers in the oaks by the abandoned building near Patterson Ranch Road and Paseo Padre.  Later in spring, the last of the irruptive Red-breasted Nuthatches often seem to be with yellow-rumps.
--1 Warbling Vireo.  Singing by visitor center.
--2 Wilson's Warblers.  Singing by visitor center.

It was fun to get a first taste of songbird migration.  What a beautiful spot, particularly after all this rain!  Full ebird lists are below.

Happy birding,
Rob Furrow

--
Robert Furrow