From: "Logan Kahle logan@... [EBB_Sightings]" <EBB_Sightings-noreply@...>
To: "EBB Sightings" <EBB_Sightings@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:03:42 AM
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Holland Tract CBC--apparent BROWN-CRESTED FLYCATCHER (!), WHITE-WINGED DOVES

Hi All,

Today I joined Rob Furrow, Jasen Liu, Ted Robertson, John Muir Laws, Kim
Kuska, and Ashok (?last name?) to participated in an absolutely
incredible CBC today at the Holland Tract--arguable the best count I've
ever done. It was packed with diversity, excitement, and, best of all,
megas. I'll cut to those first.

While sorting through a flock of Eurasian Collared-Doves and Mourning
Doves by the Marina I found a WHITE-WINGED DOVE. I pointed it out to the
rest of the group and while I was talking to Jasen about the dove he
seemed incredulous that there was just one bird. I then looked in his
scope to see a different bird! So I had said "look at the White-winged
Dove in the tree" and he had seen a different White-winged Dove in that
tree! While looking at the dove, I saw a Yellow-bellied Tyrannid flying
away heading west, and thought it looked good for Western Kingbird (gray
throat and chest, bright but not super-bright yellow below, apparently
black tail--which turned out to be a shadow), which would've been new
for the count circle! So, I was feeling pretty good and didn't think
things could get much better...but they could.

Three hours later and over a mile away, I said "There's the Kingbird!"
as the bird flew by before Rob Furrow and I quickly realized that it was
a Myiarchus! Rob then pointed out how massive the bill was and it dawned
on me that this was likely a BROWN-CRESTED! I took a series of photos
before the bird flew off to the north, landed, then continued north out
of sight. We were never able to refind it. The total observation time
through the scope was about 20ish seconds, maybe a little bit more.

Descriptions and photos of both (all three) birds can be found here:

Directions to the Brown-crested (I could not fit them in eBird): If you
are enter the tract over the bridge and turn right, you will quickly
come up to a road on your left, then a second road on your left about a
mile farther. This is just a past a line of cottonwoods and a massive
blackberry bramble. There is a small channel that runs parallel this
road. There is a single willow there, which is where we refound (after
the flyover at the White-winged Dove spot) the Brown-crested Flycatcher.
Coordinates: 37°58'39.07"N,121°36'8.81"W

It appeared to me that the bird was moving, and that it was long gone by
the time we looked for it again in the evening. However, I could be
wrong. Always worth trying to refind!

As far as I am aware, the dove represents just the third and fourth
county records (or just the third if you treat two individuals of the
same species at the same spot and the same time as a single record), and
the flycatcher will represent both a first county record and just the
second for Northern California--the only other one coming from September
on the Farallons (in the 80s?)--if it is accepted.

Megas aside, it was still an amazing morning to be out. The dawn flight
was absolutely incredible, and despite having essentially no flooded
fields at the tract, we beat the odds and had an amazing morning. Other
highlights included:
"Blue" Snow Goose-4 formerly considered rare in the county
Aleutian Cackling Goose-700; the count of Cackling Geese we had today
was much higher than I'd ever had before
American White Pelican-48
Green Heron-2
Sharp-shinned Hawk-1
Ferruginous Hawk-1
American Avocet-1
Boneparte's Gull-2
Forster's Tern-15
WHITE-WINGED DOVE-2
Merlin-2
Peregrine Falcon-1
Prairie Falcon-1
BROWN-CRESTED FLYCATCHER-1
Golden-crowned Kinglet-1 In cypresses by residences. Rare here
Wrentit-2; part of the only remnant population in east county in islands
with a mix of willows and reeds
White-throated Sparrow-1
Yellow-headed Blackbird-12

Full checklist (as shown above) in eBird:

Rob, Jasen and I then split off and headed to Orwood tract which had a
few good birds:
Sora-1
Common Gallinule-1
Barn Owl-1
Lark Sparrow-5
Fox Sparrow-2
California Towhee-1 which I actually saw, the first time I have seen one
in East county. They were formerly very rare here but now have
apparently established small, localized populations.

We then decided to head back to Holland Tract for dusk flight. We added
a few birds for the day tally, and highlights included:
Ring-necked Pheasant-3
Virginia Rail-1
Sora-1
Glaucous-winged Gull-1