Re: Scoters at Richmond Marina continue (female white-winged scoter images, including closeups)

George A Suennen

I guess the White-singed scoter was popular today.  I was with Allen when we got some nice close-ups.  I put my photos up at:

http://birds.avianist.com/2015/151125-Richmond-Marina

Also got some good shots of Pelagic Cormorants, Black Oystercatchers, Eared Grebes (one was very good at catching pipefish) and a Horned Grebe. There are some other photos including a female Surf Scoter, Brown Pelican, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Lesser Goldfinch, Anna's Hummingbird, Coots, Gulls, and a few others.

Best Regards,
George
http://birds.avianist.com

On 11/25/2015 5:08 PM, Allen Hirsch allenvhirsch@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:

The white-winged scoter female was seen about 1pm at Finger F in the Harbor, as reported before. She came close for a few minutes, then swam to the far end.

Starting at 2pm, we got much closer looks at her from Finger E for another 45 minutes (one of the Marina Bay work crew kindly let us onto dock).

She became comfortable enough even with us closer that she preened several times, as part of this sequence shows (the reflected boats and marine gear played havoc with the water colors at times):

Allen Hirsch
Oakland