Re: GGAS Second Friday Bird Walk, Pt. Isabel Reg. Shoreline, 11.13.2015

George A Suennen

Alan,

Thanks for leading the group again.  I posted my photos of the walk at:

http://birds.avianist.com/2015/151113-Richmond-Shoreline

The photos are pretty much in chronological order. While checking out the photos I did get a Mourning Dove at the start while we were signing in, a raft of Ruddy Ducks on the other side of the breakwater, a couple of Ring-billed Gulls by the Elegant Terns , and a Northern Mockingbird on the east side of the path that didn't make your list.  Lot's of bird activity today.  I took 4200 photos and got them down to 140 for the site.

Best Regards,
George
http://birds.avianist.com

On 11/13/2015 10:21 PM, Alan Kaplan lnkpln@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:

Friends!

Pt. Isabel Regional Shoreline, Contra Costa, California, US
Nov 13, 2015, 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM

Golden Gate Audubon Society Second Friday Bird Walk, November 13, 2015.
Point Isabel Regional Shoreline to S. 51st Street and Meeker Slough.

We had 45 observers, including distinguished visitor Denise Wight, who added her expertise in sounds and songs (and mnemonics for them). We had a shorebird theme, and there were lots of 'scopes and cameras.

You can “genderize” your adult Black Oystercatcher sightings: females have flecks in the black center of their eyes (irides), giving an irregular shape to the iris. Sibley’s Second edition does not call this out. See “Secrets in the Eyes of Black Oystercatchers”, Journal of Field Ornithology, 79(2): 215-223, 2008, by Guzzetti et al.

Birds o' the Day were Say's Phoebe, American Pipit, Wilson's Snipe, and my FOS Dunlin!

Here are the 59 species:

Canada Goose
American Wigeon
Mallard
Green-winged Teal
Greater Scaup
Bufflehead
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Clark's Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Pelagic Cormorant
Brown Pelican
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Turkey Vulture makes it "official"
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Coot makes it doubly "official"
American Avocet
Black Oystercatcher
Black-bellied Plover
Killdeer