Re: GGAS First Friday Bird Walk 11.06.2015 Tilden Nature Area

George A Suennen

Alan,

Thanks for leading the bird walk. I posted my photos of this mornings adventure at:

http://birds.avianist.com/2015/151106-Jewel-Lake

Most of the birds were in the shade or at a quite a distance, so they aren't as good as I'd want...

One of the hawks that flew by that people thought was a Red-shoulder may have been a Northern Harrier that I shot flying over early in the walk. I haven't seen a Harrier in Tilden, but I've seen them all over the Bay Area, so it may have been in "transit". Also I saw a White-crowned Sparrow and minor point at least 4 Kinglets and half a dozen Robins.

Best Regards,
George

On 11/6/2015 8:39 PM, Alan Kaplan lnkpln@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:

Tilden Nature Area, Contra Costa, California, US
Nov 6, 2015 8:30 AM - 11:45 PM

Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Bird Walk, Tilden Nature Area. November 6, 2015.

A real MoB (many observers) of 50 birders turned out for Red Crossbills (Western Hemlock- Type 3) but we dipped! For more than you want to know about crossbills, Dr. Craig Benkman at University of Wyoming has all his publications available as downloadable PDFs. When I wrote him about the irruption of Red Crossbills in Tilden Park, he knew exactly where I meant, writing back that he was an undergraduate at UC Berkeley in the 1980s!

There were about 40 Pine Siskins in the coast redwood where both they and the crossbills were seen in the past weeks, but the crossbills did not appear today. We did have a Picidae Grand Slam (Nuttall's and Acorn Woodpeckers, Northern Flicker and Red-breasted Sapsucker).

We talked about "Pete Dunne on Bird Watching", now out in a second edition, with advice on bird feeding, nest boxes, binocular and spotting scope purchase, use and care tips. Thanks to all who brought "big guns and big Canons" today which gave us great views of everything we saw (but not the Red Crossbills we sought).

Here is the list of 35 species seen or heard:

Wild Turkey 8
Turkey Vulture 2 (makes it official)
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Band-tailed Pigeon 12
Anna's Hummingbird 2
Acorn Woodpecker 4
Red-breasted Sapsucker 1
Nuttall's Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2 (for a Picidae Grand Slam)
Black Phoebe 1
Hutton's Vireo 1
Steller's Jay 4
Western Scrub-Jay 2
Common Raven 1
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 6
Oak Titmouse 1
Bushtit 2
Pacific Wren 1
Bewick's Wren 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Wrentit 1
American Robin 3
Varied Thrush 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Townsend's Warbler 4
Fox Sparrow 2
Dark-eyed Junco 6
Golden-crowned Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 1
California Towhee 1
Spotted Towhee 1
Red-winged Blackbird 1
Pine Siskin 40 feeding in Coastal Redwood near Nature Center staff parking lot

Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan