Re: Rose-breasted or Black-headed Grosbeak

Joe Morlan

Jerry,

Streaks in the middle of the breast look thin to me. They are usually
thick mid-breast on Rose-breast. The more pigment in the ground color, the
stronger the streaking on Black-headed. Rose-breasted females and young
are not normally this buffy on the underparts.

Here is a fledgling Rose-breast and female from last week near Pescadero...

http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/Rose-breastedGrosbeak&chickP1030323.htm

And here is a female Rose-breast from my yard in Pacifica this Spring...

http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/Rose-breastedGrosbeakDSCN8770.htm

http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/Rose-breastedGrosbeakDSCN8822.htm

On 11 Jul 2015 22:15:32 -0700, "jtnikon@... [EBB_Sightings]"
<EBB_Sightings-noreply@...> wrote:

During the Fremont Birding Circle Facebook group monthly walk at California Nursery Historic Park in Niles. Fremont this (7/11/2015) morning, we encountered a juvenile grosbeak that I suspect it might be a Rose-breasted Grosbeak. The bird has a speckled white throat, streaked breast and heavily streaked flank. However, the beak color is dark gray instead of typical pale pinkish. Here is a shot by Chinling Tien posted on the FBC site:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=925389817503937&set=oa.1607128689558929&type=1&theater https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=925389817503937&set=oa.1607128689558929&type=1&theater

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Happy Birding,

Jerry Ting