Re: Golden Gate Audubon First Friday Birdwalk, July 3, 2015 Tilden Nature Area

George A Suennen

Alan,

Thanks for leading the group, you passed on some very interesting information (as always).

I posted some photos of the Birdwalk at:

http://birds.avianist.com/2015/150703-Jewel-Lake/

I did get a Cooper's Hawk that flew over the group in the parking lot as well as a Western Scrub-Jay on the Wildcat Canyon part of the walk you can add to the list. It was foggy/overcast this morning, but managed to get some good shots of the Green Heron and a few Wilson's Warblers.

Best Regards,
George
http://birds.avianist.com

On 7/3/2015 11:06 PM, Alan Kaplan lnkpln@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:

Friends!

Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Birdwalk, July 3, 2015 at Tilden Nature Area. Our theme today was Goldfinches.

Thanks to the MoB (many observers- party of 50 !), including our growing Meet-up group, of enthusiastic birders.

Birds O' the Day were three: Green Heron at Jewel Lake, Red-shouldered Hawk in the eucalyptus near the Jewel Lake restroom, and Kingfisher in several places. We had great views of male American Goldfinch in breeding plumage, and brief look at male Lesser Goldfinch. Yesterday's River Otter did not make an appearance, but there were still 10 ducklings with the Mallard female. Great Egret and Pacific Wren (singing) were other highlights.

Thanks to Lee F. for organizing the eBird efforts for the group.

Here is the list of 35 species:

Mallard 11 Female with 10 ducklings
Wild Turkey 6 Female with 5 poults
Great Egret 1
Green Heron 1 fishing at Jewel Lake
Turkey Vulture 1 makes it official !
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1 molting was obvious in tail and wings
Mourning Dove 2
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Olive-sided Flycatcher 2
Pacific-slope Flycatcher 2
Black Phoebe 2
Warbling Vireo 2
Steller's Jay 1
Common Raven 2
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 1
Oak Titmouse 1
Pygmy Nuthatch 1
Brown Creeper 1
Pacific Wren 3 heard
Bewick's Wren 1
Wrentit 1
Swainson's Thrush 12
American Robin 6
Wilson's Warbler 6
Spotted Towhee 4
California Towhee 6
Song Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco 6
Black-headed Grosbeak 3
Purple Finch 1
Lesser Goldfinch 2
American Goldfinch 1 male in breeding plumage

Best of Boids!

Alan Kaplan