Re: GGAS Second Friday Birdwalk Regional Parks Botanic Garden 03.13.15

George A Suennen

Alan,

Thanks for leading the group. Always a pleasure listening to all the info you present to the group.

I posted my photos of today's walk at: http://birds.avianist.com/2015/150313-Tilden-Park/

I can confirm the Red-tailed Hawk was not a Golden Eagle in the photos. Also I think I got a
photo of an American Crow from early in the walk, though it's hard to tell. Got a few good photos
of the Anna's Hummingbird and also of the early Varied Thrush getting the worm.

Thanks again,
George
http://birds.avianist.com

On 3/13/2015 10:00 PM, Alan Kaplan lnkpln@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:
Friends!

Regional Parks Botanic Garden Tilden, Contra Costa, US-CA
Mar 13, 2015 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM

Second Friday GGAS Birdwalk, Regional Parks Botanic Garden in Tilden Regional Park.

Lots of flowers, trees in bloom ("the Black-headed Grosbeak returns when the Box-elder blooms" though, in fact, we did not have a Black-headed Grosbeak and there were Box-elders in bloom). Thanks to Wen Hsu and other RPBG docents, we saw bushtit and scrub jay nests. Juan Carlos Solis showed us a Saturniid moth pupal case (huge!) and Wen showed us a Pipevine Swallowtail chrysalis. A few swallowtail adults were flying about, too. One of the bushtit nests was under construction and many photos were taken. A MoB of 45 observers! Danke schn to Christine for bringing the spotting scope today.

If you would like a copy of the New Sequence of Bird Orders and the accompanying bibliography from the Bay Currents talk on What Your Field Guide Tells You about Bird Evolution, please e-mail a request to me. Thanks!

Here is the list of 27 species seen today at the Regional Parks Botanic Garden:

Mallard
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Band-tailed Pigeon