Re: GGAS First Friday Birdwalk March 6, 2015 Tilden Nature Area

George A Suennen

Alan,

I stopped by the Tilden Nature Area after work yesterday The lighting wasn't great, but I I photographed 21 of the birds on your list and saw/heard another 9. The only bird not on your list that I was able to photograph was a Wild Turkey. I wish I could get the time off to join you on your Birdwalks, but for now I'll have to check out your email write ups.

Photos at http://birds.avianist.com/2015/150306-Jewel-Lake/ .

Even got the Hood Merganser trying to swallow a crawfish (actually three different ones) and a Bewick's Wren taking a dust bath on the trail.

Thanks,
George
http://birds.avianist.com

On 3/6/2015 11:10 PM, Alan Kaplan lnkpln@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:

Friends!

Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Birdwalk, March 6, 2015 Tilden Nature Area.

Theme today was the new sequence of bird orders, derived mostly from Jarvis et al. 2014 in Science, 12 December 2014, 346:1320-1331. Whole genome analyses resolve early branches in the tree of life of modern birds.

Ducks and Geese, Pheasants and other Fowl lead the field guide sequence now, not Loons. Grebes are not closely related to Loons which with they have been paired in most of the field guides for nearly 100 years. Flamingoes and Grebes are now recognized as each others' closest relatives. Swifts and Hummingbirds lose their respective orders, merged with the Goatsuckers and Nightjars ; they have always been associated in the guides, but the Swifts and hummers are derived from within the Nightbirds and so don't get their own order(s) anymore. Cranes are sisters to Plovers (Gruiformes and Charadriiformes are each their own closest relatives). Penguins (out of our area), which led the world lists for almost a century, are close to the Tubenoses, Albatrosses and Shearwaters. Pelecaniformes are expanded to include storks, which lose their once-greatly expanded status as an order. New World Vultures are back with the Accipteriformes (Hawks and Eagles) after a "New York minute" as "storks." Parrots are now closest to Songbirds, and Falcons are between the Parrot-Songbird orders and the woodpeckers (woodpeckers had immediately preceeded the sub-oscine Songbirds [Tyrant Flycatchers] for nearly a century). More on all this on Tuesday, March 10, St. Alban's Church, 7:00pm, in the Bay Currents series sponsored by Friends of Five Creeks.

Bird O' the Day is hard to choose: was it the Red-breasted Sapsucker, once again at the parking lot picnic table for hours?
The pair of Red-shouldered Hawks at the Jewel Lake Meadow? The Hooded Merganser on the lake? The pair of Double-crested Cormorants (at least one showing the crests!)? Or the four raptors (Sharp-shinned, Cooper's, Red-tailed and the aforementioned Red-shouldered)? Or the five Picidae- Northern Flicker, Downy, Hairy and Acorn Woodpeckers, and aforementioned Red-breasted Sapsucker?

Forty-one observers plus leader, Orange-crowned Warblers singing everywhere, sunny day of delight!

Here are the 48 species seen or heard:

Mallard
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Double-crested Cormorant crests were showing !
Turkey Vulture makes it official !
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Band-tailed Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Allen's Hummingbird
Acorn Woodpecker
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Black Phoebe
Hutton's Vireo
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Common Raven carrying nesting material
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Oak Titmouse
Bushtit
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
House Wren
Bewick's Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Wrentit
Hermit Thrush
Varied Thrush
Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler Myrtle-type
Townsend's Warbler
Wilson's Warbler (Pacific Coast) 1 Early record? Heard by Chris Hiyamizu, and the bright yellow bird with black cap seen by Doug Henderson. One other person whose name I didn't get also saw it. Sorry, no pictures, but Chris said she heard the increasingly louder call (ch-ch-CH-CH-CH) that we associate with the Wilson's Warbler here.
Spotted Towhee
California Towhee
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
House Finch
Purple Finch singing "a burst of Purple Finch song"
Lesser Goldfinch

Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan