Spring in Heather Farm Park, Walnut Creek

rosita94598

The last couple of weeks have felt like spring, though for several days it has been chilly in the morning.  The Tropical Kingbird has continued, sometimes early, now; the last two days it has been seen before 9 AM hawking insects on the slope just above the dirt boat ramp at the southwest corner of the large pond.  The number of Buffleheads has dwindled to a dozen or so, but we have had Ring-necked Ducks in varying numbers for over a week.  Sometimes there are 10 or so, sometimes only 2-3 individuals.

Numerous observers have mentioned the Oak Titmouse activity in the large oak across the small Ygnacio Canal west of the large pond.  They always seem to be in pairs, now.  Northern Rough-winged Swallows have been flying over the pond early, up to 3-4 of them.

This morning I again heard and then saw a male Spotted Towhee south of the equestrian area.  Another was also seen and heard in the Gardens.  Bushtits have been building nests and the Red-winged Blackbirds are making some very unusual gurgling sounds after their normal song.  Ruby-crowned Kinglets are also practicing their songs.

Heather Farm Park is located in the Ygnacio Valley east of downtown Walnut Creek.

Hugh B. Harvey