Don Castro, returning YBSA

Debbi Brusco

I went over again on 11/27 from 12:45-4:05, this time starting from the parking lot and going clockwise. I stopped to look at a few birds, but mostly was trying to get to the other side between 1-1:30 to check the willows.

I waited quietly near the willow/trashcan area on the south side of the lake. At 1:35, I saw the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that has been around during the last couple of CBCs on the older willow on the lake side of the trail at that intersection. I mostly viewed it from east/SE of that tree; it seemed to like the shaded north side. Sometimes it was a little shy, moving behind where I couldn't see it, but I stayed there for an hour and watched it five different times.

*Canada Goose
White-crowned Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
California Towhee
American Robin
Anna's Hummingbird
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (one was singing)
Mallard
American Coot
*Double-crested Cormorant
Nuttall's Woodpecker
Downy or Hairy woodpecker (only heard the pik/peek call)
Western Scrub-jay
Steller's Jay
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Song Sparrow
Red-shouldered Hawk
Hermit Thrush
Hutton's Vireo
*Western Bluebird
*Bewick's Wren
*Lesser Goldfinch
Spotted Towhee
Belted Kingfisher
Black Phoebe
Brown Creeper
American Crow
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Band-tailed Pigeon
*Northern Flicker
*Dark-eyed Junco
*Pied-billed Grebe
*Cedar Waxwing
*Varied Thrush, 3-4 on lawn with robins, one with what looked like an acorn
Oak Titmouse

(*I didn't get these on 11/22)

Debbi Brusco
Hayward