Re: Common Poorwill, Cesar Chavez Park Berkeley

Joe Morlan

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:06:34 -0700, "Aaron Maizlish
aaron.maizlish@... [EBB_Sightings]"
<EBB_Sightings-noreply@...> wrote:

Does anyone know whether fall coastal migrants including these October bayside sightings are from a different population and whether they are both the same subspecies, nominate vs. californicus "Dusky"? I could not find range maps of presumed ssp online.
There is a summer range map, showing subspecies on page 212 of Grinnell and
Miller, available online at...

https://sora.unm.edu/node/122

The text offers non-breeding records of nominate as...

"As wintering, occurs from Death Valley, Inyo County (Grinnell, Proc.
Calif. Acad. Sci., ser. 4, 13, 1923:68), south to near Yermo, San
Bernardino County, March 14 (Lamb, Condor, 14, 1912:36), and casually [?]
to Mission Valley, San Diego County (Willett, Pac. Coast Avif. No. 21,
1933:92) ; also along Colorado River valley, Riverside Mountain, Riverside
County, to near Picacho, Imperial County (Grinnell, Univ. Calif. Publ.
Zool., 12, 1914:139)."

Non-breeding records of californicus...

"Winters at lower levels in San Diegan district (see Willett, Pac. Coast
Avif. No. 2 1, 1933 : 92)) and northward casually as far as Paicines, San
Benito County (J. and J. W. Mailliard MS), Hayward, Alameda County,
February 5, 8 (Calif. Acad. Sci.), near Lake Temescal, Alameda County,
November 3 (Marshall, Condor, 40, 1938: 127)) and 30 miles east of
Stockton, San Joaquin County (Belding, Land Birds Pac. Dist., 1890: 76). A
remarkable extra-limital occurrence, seasonally as well as geographically,
is of a bird captured December 7, 1931, at Crescent City, Del Norte County
(no. 59134 Mus. Vert. Zool.). Found in April on Santa Catalina Island
(Richardson, Condor, 10, 1908:66) ; and individuals have been reported in
spring from Anacapa and San Clemente islands (Howell, Pac. Coast Avif. No.
12, 1917:61)."

Based on this information, it would appear that East Bay migrants are
probably californicus, but Jerry Ting's photo at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/10431817414

seems to be a better match for nominate nuttallii having silvery-gray pale
areas on the mantle contrasting with black spots. It also appears that the
range of nuttallii is more extensive than that mapped by Grinnell and
Miller.

Although focused out of our area, I highly recommend the full account by
Phil Unitt in the San Diego Bird Atlas available at...

http://sdplantatlas.org/ge_files/pdf/Common%20Poorwill.pdf

Also useful are the Google Earth .kmz files which allow free online access
to the maps and species accounts...

http://www.sdnhm.org/science/birds-and-mammals/projects/san-diego-county-bird-atlas/

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt