Richmond Pomarine Jaeger

Jeff Acuff

This morning, along the San Francisco Bay Trail between Vincent Park and Shimada Friendship Park, I found a POMARINE JAEGER while scanning the bay waters for brown pelicans (which I failed to find there).  The jaeger flew west and pulled up to a stop over the waters at the mouth of Harbor Channel where it took a position stilling for several minutes.  I lost the bird as I was moving positions to try and get a better vantage point, so I don't know which direction it went from there.

Views were distant, but the bird had the very distinct profile of an adult with the long and twisted central tail feathers.

Good Birding,
Jeff Acuff