Re: Solitary Sandpiper in Coyote Hills

Joe Morlan

On 13 Aug 2014 22:31:45 -0700, "rosita94598@... [EBB_Sightings]"
<EBB_Sightings@...> wrote:

GPS coordinates don't mean a thing to me.
I think they can be very useful even if you don't own a GPS. E.g. in this
case, if you paste John Cant's (37.5595, -122.0810) coordinates into Google
Maps...

https://maps.google.com/

it returns a map with an arrow pointing to exactly where the bird was seen.
In this case...

http://goo.gl/maps/i3zpV

Earlier posted coordinates (37.557986,-122.085781) by Bob Toleno show the
bird slightly to the west. The latest report by Bill Clark with a helpful
map shows the bird considerably east of previous sightings.

Most modern smart-phones have a GPS feature attached to their mapping
programs and I would encourage observers to continue to note the
coordinates of their rarity sightings and including that information when
posting.

Thanks and good luck.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt